Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessnbud
New Member!
Female 

14-12-2016, 01:25 PM

Recommend me a dog breed

Hello all. My partner and I have recently moved in together, landlord says he is fine with us having pets in the house so I'm on the hunt. OH works 9-5 mon - fri and shortly I will be starting a job working shifts, I also have a horse to look after. I want to get a dog but I want to make sure that I get the right dog for us and that we'll be the right home for the dog. We have both had dogs in our families in the past. We are both aware of the commitment that brings.
My parents have a black lab and a huskyxlab. His parents have a collie and a terrierx.
We ideally would prefer a medium to large dog that is happy with long walks three to four times a week and shorter walks inbetween. We have a great garden for toileting and playing and are in a fab area for walks including a lot of beaches. We would prefer a shortish coated dog after dealing with the husky x moulting twice a year :P. I am open to looking at rescues as tbh our situation is not the best for a pup really, though I have been looking at chubby little rottweiler puppies all morning, must resist.
Any ideas clever clogsies?
And please feel free to add any pics you choose. The more the better IMO
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Was going to suggest your local rescue actually. Lots of older dogs who need a loving home who are overlooked time and again, when really they are ideal for a busy home having been already toilet trained and at a stage in their life when they aren't as needy as perhaps a youngster would be. Could you take your dog with you to your horse, I used to
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tessnbud View Post
Hello all. My partner and I have recently moved in together, landlord says he is fine with us having pets in the house so I'm on the hunt. OH works 9-5 mon - fri and shortly I will be starting a job working shifts, I also have a horse to look after. I want to get a dog but I want to make sure that I get the right dog for us and that we'll be the right home for the dog. We have both had dogs in our families in the past. We are both aware of the commitment that brings.
My parents have a black lab and a huskyxlab. His parents have a collie and a terrierx.
We ideally would prefer a medium to large dog that is happy with long walks three to four times a week and shorter walks inbetween. We have a great garden for toileting and playing and are in a fab area for walks including a lot of beaches. We would prefer a shortish coated dog after dealing with the husky x moulting twice a year :P. I am open to looking at rescues as tbh our situation is not the best for a pup really, though I have been looking at chubby little rottweiler puppies all morning, must resist.
Any ideas clever clogsies?
And please feel free to add any pics you choose. The more the better IMO
We got ours from a rescue centre at about a year old - the dog, that is - not me....

He is just such an easy dog - gets along with other people and dogs and is good out in the open or in crowded places.

Not perfect but he suits us and goes with us everywhere.
On the down side for your life style, he needs, and gets, a lot of exercise.

Forgot to mention breed - he is a collie.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Retired greyhound maybe? Couch potatoes but would need a good a few times a week but gentle walks out with that times. Obviously greyhounds have their own quirks and I've never owned one only know friends who have.
Personally I couldn't suggest a working breed as they need more than what mentioned above IMO.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
Personally I couldn't suggest a working breed as they need more than what mentioned above IMO.
What did I omit?
DogBone30
New Member!
Male 

16-12-2016, 12:48 AM
This is gonna sound too standard but can't go wrong with a golden retriever - they're too darn cute!!!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2016, 05:07 PM
If you're wanting a pedigree dog, I would go to a dog show, to see what breed really captured my heart and then talk to breeders there.

If a rescue dog I would contact breed rescues, Dogs Trust, RSCPA. They might have puppies available or pregnant bitches in foster homes.

Good luck finding the right dog for yourselves.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
If you can't walk him for a long time and need a dog to be on his own, I would say a greyhound. They sleep more than they don't. And they are loving and loyal and calm dogs. Contact a greyhound rescue and have a chat with them.