Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Girl pee-ing while sleeping

Well my girl of 22 months has started pee-ing herself while she is asleep. just spoken to the vet and he says it is because she is missing certain hormones as she was spayed and will need to have a tablet every day of her life from now.. my friends bitch has the same problem and the tablets help.. not sure that I want to give her hormone tablets and just wondered if anyone on here knows of some other way to control it or help it improve...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2013, 11:11 AM
My female Dobermann developed the same issue about a year ago. Hers was complicated by a uti and struvite crystals but once those were sorted the leaking persisted. We tried Incurin the hormone tablets which had no effect at all. We then tried propalin syrup which was initially given 3 times a day, then reduced to twice and then once a day. We have also reduced the amount given each day. She takes it happily and we've had 100% success with it. We did try herbal remedies but they gave no improvement at all.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Thank you Shirley.. will have to look into the propalin syrup..
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 11:24 AM
That's a bit worrying if it is as a result of spaying and apparently seems quite well known? Is it connected with the age they are spayed at?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
That's a bit worrying if it is as a result of spaying and apparently seems quite well known? Is it connected with the age they are spayed at?
Seems to be more common in certain breeds. Rio was about 15 months so not especially young.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Just had at look online at spay incontinence. ALot of good reviews on cranberry supplements, might be worth considering combined with her recommend meds.Maybe check yourself and see what you think
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Seems to be more common in certain breeds. Rio was about 15 months so not especially young.
Before Little One was spayed at about 9 months old, I queried spay incontinence with my Vet, and was told that it was predominantly large breeds that were affected. She never had any problems and luckily Pereg, also spayed at about 9 months, has, so far, not shown any signs of it, although possibly the fact that she needs to go out to pee once or twice every night might be masking any tendency to incontinence.
Meg
Supervisor

20-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi Eva , post spaying urinary incontinence seems to be more prevalent in larger breeds.
I know a number of people who have had success treating it with Propalin syrup.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I have a Saint with the same issue, presumed as a result of her spay (I adopted her at 3 and she was already incontinent). She's on Propalin syrup twice a day. Started on three times a day if I remember correctly, and on a higher dose. It's very effective. We reduced the dose until she started being wet again and knew we'd lowered it too much so now we know exactly how much she needs for it to work. Goes on her food so easy to give her. I don't know anything about hormone tablets (was never given that option!) but have no complaints with the Propalin.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:28 PM
It's good to know there seems to be some effective remedies for it.

Have to say that if I was advised that my breed of dog could end up with urinary incontinence if spayed I think I'd opt not to have her done. 10 - 12 yrs or more owning an incontinent large dog isn't something I'd like to take the risk of if I could avoid it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »