Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Chewing/eating stones??

Hey, jake keeps chewing/eating stones i think its coz of his teeth (he's 14 weeks, today ), do you think this is why? he has lots of toys and chews everywhere but always chews the stones anyway. i worry when he chews them, and always get them off him but he now knows im going to do it so runs away with them so now i worry he will choke on them... i have been teaching him leave which is going well so far but he wont leave the stones yet. what problems could this cause for him? especially if he swallows them?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I have exactly the same trouble with Chip. I blamed teeth at first but as he's grown up he's still showing some interested in stones
I think some dogs just like them.
So far he hasn't swallowed any, as far as I know. I've taught 'leave it' and he'll drop them quite easily. When he was younger and determined to run off with stones I traded them for bits of kibble.
We used to have neighbours with a dog that liked stones and he had to have several operations to get rid of them. The vet said he needed to put in a zip
Its definitely not a good habit.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Lauren puppies frequently chew stones particularly during/post teething when the teeth are bedding into the jaw. If your dog is chewing stones don't chase it, you won't win distract /and offer something in exchange for the stone/and teach 'leave'.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
thanks

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lauren puppies frequently chew stones particularly during/post teething when the teeth are bedding into the jaw. If your dog is chewing stones don't chase it, you won't win distract /and offer something in exchange for the stone/and teach 'leave'.
lol, ive learnt i wont win, the wee b***er have been teaching him leave, he is gradually getting better but there is certain things he just wont leave yet, im working on it though will try to exchange things for the stones

Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I have exactly the same trouble with Chip. I blamed teeth at first but as he's grown up he's still showing some interested in stones
I think some dogs just like them.
So far he hasn't swallowed any, as far as I know. I've taught 'leave it' and he'll drop them quite easily. When he was younger and determined to run off with stones I traded them for bits of kibble.
We used to have neighbours with a dog that liked stones and he had to have several operations to get rid of them. The vet said he needed to put in a zip
Its definitely not a good habit.
oh, thats not good dont want jake to have any operations especially to remove stones lol. im not sure if jake has swallowed any either, ive not noticed him swallow any but he can be sneaky will defo be trying to exchange them lol, he is a very food orientated dog so should be easy lol
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I have the same problem with Honey, she 9 months old and i keep catching her getting small stones and as our garden at the back is all stones it doesnt help, i trying to teach her leave but she ignores me most of the time, will try a bit harder after reading other posts.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Tilly did this too & was very reluctant to trade - she really wanted to be chased & I was forever worried she would swallow them - I can't remember exactly when she stopped but I think it probably does tie in around about the time her adult teethcam through. Now she picks up larger stones & just carries them round or brings them in & licks them or I trip over them!!