Our sister sites
jadeye
New Member!
Male 

25-11-2017, 10:21 AM

5 dogs and struggling....

Hello everyone,
I am newbie, need your advice.
I have 5 big dogs, they are Golden Retrievers mixed with Rhodesian Ridgebacks...30kgs/66pounds on average.
The average age is 4yo.
They live indoors with me or I with them
Its winter time and I have a small house.
I take them for walks twice a day, and if its raining out side, I let them in after their walk.
The surroudings for the walks are mostly muddy or not paved.
When I let them in the house, I let in 2-3 at once, make them sit down and wipe their feet and coat so everything doesn't get muddy and humid and stink...
Any ideas as for what to do to avoid this long and tiresome process of cleaning them up every time we get back from a walk???
In general winter advice would be much appreciated.
I have had a deck with a roof (suntuf-corrugated polycarbonate sheet) on top at the entrance to the house so they had a dry place to stay at...I also built a big dog kennel but they rarely use it.
They rather sit at the door step...
I will be rebuilding the deck so when coming back its easier to clean them...
Thank you
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 08:48 PM
There is no real answer for this. Five big dogs living with you in a small space will obviously dominate your environment. I don't think there is much you can do but keep cleaning them down after each walk and wait for better weather, but I think you already know that.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by jadeye View Post
Hello everyone,
I am newbie, need your advice.
I have 5 big dogs, they are Golden Retrievers mixed with Rhodesian Ridgebacks...30kgs/66pounds on average.
The average age is 4yo.
They live indoors with me or I with them
Its winter time and I have a small house.
I take them for walks twice a day, and if its raining out side, I let them in after their walk.
The surroudings for the walks are mostly muddy or not paved.
When I let them in the house, I let in 2-3 at once, make them sit down and wipe their feet and coat so everything doesn't get muddy and humid and stink...
Any ideas as for what to do to avoid this long and tiresome process of cleaning them up every time we get back from a walk???
In general winter advice would be much appreciated.
I have had a deck with a roof (suntuf-corrugated polycarbonate sheet) on top at the entrance to the house so they had a dry place to stay at...I also built a big dog kennel but they rarely use it.
They rather sit at the door step...
I will be rebuilding the deck so when coming back its easier to clean them...
Thank you
Why five? One big dog, ours is 35kg, is a serious commitment.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Why not 5? I have 7 small dogs used to have 3 large dogs and 4 smaller ones, as long as we can manage what's the problem. Tbh 35 kg Collie isn't big. All dogs are a commitment regardless of size.
As for the muddy feet there's not much you can do except put old towels down to soak up the excess but then you end up with loads of washing.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Well, I think 35 kg is quite a big dog.
But he is very gentle and obedient. OCD.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Yeah I think staffies are small dogs but others think they're big, standard is around 15 kgs so to me that's small. It depends on what you're used to. My male Dobermann was 46 kgs and very gentle and obedient too, not sure how that helps the OP with her soggy dogs though.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yeah I think staffies are small dogs but others think they're big, standard is around 15 kgs so to me that's small. It depends on what you're used to. My male Dobermann was 46 kgs and very gentle and obedient too, not sure how that helps the OP with her soggy dogs though.
I think her is a he. Not that it greatly matters. Five sets of paws are five sets of paws. Even, as a mathematician, I have no equations to reduce that.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Doesn't matter at all but my apologies to the Op for mistaking his gender. The number of paws is not as relevant as the hairyness of paws though as hairy paws retain more moisture. Also their undercarriage will no doubt be fairly sodden too, so really drying off the excess and giving them something to lie on that will absorb the moisture is about as much as you can hope for.
You could of course put coats on them in the wet as then their own coats will stay dryer, or an equafleece jumper such as these https://www.equafleece.co.uk/dogs/all-dog-products
I'm sure they will do something similar in the US. My lot have coats that retain the moisture so I leave them in the conservatory with the heater on high until they have dried off. It's all about finding what works for you.
You can also get a bag that zips onto the dog that contains the muck and moisture I used to have one many moons ago for my very hairy cocker spaniel, think it's called a dribag or something similar. Oh there you go I'm not senile yet lol http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/dry-dog-bag.html
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Doesn't matter at all but my apologies to the Op for mistaking his gender. The number of paws is not as relevant as the hairyness of paws though as hairy paws retain more moisture. Also their undercarriage will no doubt be fairly sodden too, so really drying off the excess and giving them something to lie on that will absorb the moisture is about as much as you can hope for.
You could of course put coats on them in the wet as then their own coats will stay dryer, or an equafleece jumper such as these https://www.equafleece.co.uk/dogs/all-dog-products
I'm sure they will do something similar in the US. My lot have coats that retain the moisture so I leave them in the conservatory with the heater on high until they have dried off. It's all about finding what works for you.
You can also get a bag that zips onto the dog that contains the muck and moisture I used to have one many moons ago for my very hairy cocker spaniel, think it's called a dribag or something similar. Oh there you go I'm not senile yet lol http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/dry-dog-bag.html
Not senile - just Trouble...........................
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Not senile - just Trouble...........................
Helpful though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >