Female 

19-01-2013, 04:09 PM
the sire and the bitch
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi Natalie

I can understand why you feel frustrated and let down. You went above and beyond what most people do when getting a pup - searched for a good breeder, asked for tests, but still ended up with a dog with health issues.

I can also understand you being a bit annoyed with the breeder too - the heart tests being dated 5 days after you picked up your pup yet were told were done before the mating does seem suspect.

If a breeder has repeated a mating where previous offspring have suffered a genetic disability, could, be seen as wilful negligence - so if you feel this breeder has mislead you I would definitely consider taking legal advice.

Having said that, sometimes we just get rotten luck. I researched breeds for over a year, as I wanted a 'fitter' mastiff type - I too looked at Boxers but the health issues scared me. In the end my dog (a Presa) ended up being epileptic, had to have a TPLO op on his knee and ended up having cancer. We miss things or skip over things too (I didn't even spot he was inbred - all the champions in his pedigree distracted me!) so yes I can certainly understand your frustration, because we feel breeders should not take short-cuts when it comes to health and that the responsibility should be with them, not us - that's what we pay them for after all.

The saying buyer beware could not be more true when it comes to buying a pup, and we definitely need more Sweden-like laws when it comes to the sale of dogs.
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Hello, I am a newbie so if I ask silly questions please forgive me.
I saw this thread and thought I'd take a look but I am confused.
I saw the x-rays but need someone to explain what it is I am looking at.
What is wrong with them?
Also if Hip Dysplasia (hope I have spelt that right) is so common in Boxers, why aren't breeders here doing something about it. My girl is from Germany I bought her when I was stationed over there. (I am ex-forces) and from what recall the breeder made a big point of saying and proving they tested for most if not all the major health issues. Heart, hips, eyes, spine. Why then don't UK breeders? My girl is 9 years old now and whilst I would love to think she will keep on going forever I have to face the facts she is getting on in years so I am wanting to get a pup but surely I shouldnt have to go back to Germany to get a decent dog?
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Thankyou so much for that reply and yes it is time that new laws were brought in with regards to breeders.

Just to clarify the heart result issue,the breeder never actually told me when the tests were done but that they had been done and also gave me the results but not a certificate.She said i could see the certificate on the day i was to pich the puppy up

Thankyou again for your help
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Reading through the thread I noticed that some of you guys mentioned how hip dysplasia etc is pretty common in the Boxers of today.
As I have said, in Germany they appear to be very keen on producing dogs without these problems. Why then are British Breeders seemingly so blase about it all.
I found another thread by Bala's Mum in the breeders section and having read some of it, I got the impression that most folk seem to accept that Boxers are screwed and that is that.
Yet these same breeders go on to win championships with their dogs and as AZZ pointed out, when you see the word Champion in the pedigree you tend to think. Best of the best which therefore leads one to believe they are not going to have something so fundamentally wrong with them like spines that are fusing together or hips that don't work properly.

That to me is worrying. How can the Kennel Club have allowed this to happen for so long?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-01-2013, 08:23 PM
It is a lot better than it was Barry - thanks to 'Pedigree dogs exposed':

Pedigree Dogs Exposed (discussion before program aired)

Pedigree Dogs Exposed, BBC1: Discussion

Pedigree Dogs Exposed-The Sequell

There are a lot more threads on the topic (can be found via our search).
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It is a lot better than it was Barry - thanks to 'Pedigree dogs exposed':

Pedigree Dogs Exposed (discussion before program aired)

Pedigree Dogs Exposed, BBC1: Discussion

Pedigree Dogs Exposed-The Sequell

There are a lot more threads on the topic (can be found via our search).
It might be better than it was, but it still seems pretty abysmal.
But thanks for the links, I will have a look at them now.
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2013, 09:04 PM
AZZ sorry to ask, but seeing as you appear to be the only person on this forum looking at this thread I was wondering, can you tell me what it is I am supposed to be looking at with regards the x-rays.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sashatheboxer View Post
AZZ sorry to ask, but seeing as you appear to be the only person on this forum looking at this thread I was wondering, can you tell me what it is I am supposed to be looking at with regards the x-rays.
I know I am not Azz and I cannot tell much from the Xrays of the spine, but the hip Xray shows that the head of the femur on the left of the picture is not deep enough in the socket.

I do not know anything about Xrays of dogs' hips but I have seen hundreds of hip Xrays of children and teenagers, and to me that femur does not look to be seated properly in the socket.
Sashatheboxer
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I know I am not Azz and I cannot tell much from the Xrays of the spine, but the hip Xray shows that the head of the femur on the left of the picture is not deep enough in the socket.

I do not know anything about Xrays of dogs' hips but I have seen hundreds of hip Xrays of children and teenagers, and to me that femur does not look to be seated properly in the socket.
Thank you, I'm going to take another look at the x-ray to see if I can see what you mean. Honestly being a novice I need what probably is obvious to you guys for it to be pointed out to me.
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »