View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 11:37 AM
We have been camping with between 4-6 dogs for a few years now...
Dogs tend to be staked out when at the campsite, and sleep in one of the tent sections at night.

We stake them because sometimes there's livestock around, and sometimes cars/children/too many distractions!

We take them pretty much everywhere (beach etc), and don't really go to eat in pubs (prefer BBQ's etc)

I can't wait until we take Max this year!!

Shelley
x
strawboss
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-06-2006, 11:43 AM
We go camping quite a bit with ours but tend to avoid the organized campgrounds as they have a lot of rules so we go to isolated lakes where Maya can have her own small island!
Good protection against bears & she can't be trusted offlead, so she just loves this as we can let her run amok & not worry too much.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by bluemurphy
It would be a good idea if anyone who goes camping/ caravaning could write a short review of the site they went to and the places they visited on here. Maybe with a few pics so the rest of us know whether to try it or not.Our favorite place is the Langdale Valley in the Lake District. Fantastic views and walks and enough amazing dog friendly country pubs to walk to. Sod it am going for the weekend now!
What a fantastic idea!!!!
There could be a whole other 'camping section...different areas etc and lists of dog friendly places to eat...brill idea..

Azz...what d'you think????
Ax
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 01:36 PM
This thread is brilliant!!

We are looking into camping/caravaning - looking out for very cheap tent/caravan at the moment as apart from not having much money we don't want to spend too much if we decide it's not for us.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Trish
This thread is brilliant!!

We are looking into camping/caravaning - looking out for very cheap tent/caravan at the moment as apart from not having much money we don't want to spend too much if we decide it's not for us.

We once brought a new tent from Argos, used it for 2 nights, accidently ripped it and got it soaked, then took it back and said 'its not for us' got full refund :smt042

Sorry thats a bit norty isn't it?
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Good protection against bears & she can't be trusted offlead, so she just loves this as we can let her run amok & not worry too much.
Bears!

Thank goodness we don't have that problem here
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 07:03 PM
When I started showing, I used to camp at the venue in my little tent, used crates for the dogs until I was settled for the night and it was fine. The dogs made great hot water bottles on cooler nights! I also used to nick some of their vetbed and put it under my sleeping bag, made it a lot warmer. Polly used to climb aboard so the bed collapsed from time to time!
I progressed to a caravan and now have a motorhome but all the dogs come to shows, and have their own bunk bed (lower one only, I hasten to add) they love the camping life.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys sorry for not posting earlier, i feel so much better about it now can't wait
i think starting a camping section is a brilliant idea, that gives people lots of good info about places and pubs

I'm really excited now sad i know
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2006, 04:21 PM
We are buying a trailer tent!!!:smt035 A second hand one, then if we all decide it's what we want to do, we will upgrade in a couple of years.

I have gone all silly and excited!! We had a caravan up until I fell pregnant with our youngest, (didn't fancy a baby and a toddler in a confined space!!) so have a few bits from that - 2 sleeping bags, melamine dinner service etc. We haven't had a holiday, even a weekend away for a few years now, money being tight the main reason. This way we can now look forward to a week somewhere in August that won't break the bank and some weekends away!!

I am looking forward to getting the bits we need, the biggest expense apart from the tent itself is getting a towbar fitted.

Hope Hollie will enjoy it too.:smt105
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 08:34 PM
We used to take our Yorkie to the caravan and he loved it but then I suppose he was easier to manage than a big dopey dobermann. Suki likes to have lots of room to run about and because she can't be trusted off lead (she'd probably go mad on a lead and stake) then I'm going to wait until she's bigger!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >