Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Dogs and camping?

What do you think about taking dogs camping?

we were thinking of going but we're unsure about how molly would cope she wouldn't be left all day only for a couple of hours at the most

have any of you been camping with your dogs?

or anyones view is very welcome
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:46 PM
take ben camping all the time, he loves it, gets to meet loads of new ppl, i use one of those twirly things u put in the ground and stake him on a long lead, but after we have set up hes good enough to go off lead all the time, (wont leave charlies side) but he loves it, id recomend it 100% stake them out under a tree, and close enough to some bushes so they can do their biz.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks Bens mum

What do you do with ben when you want to go out for a meal or too the beach and so on?
elkjess
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:49 PM
hi
went camping this weekend with my sister and her springer spanial, she just stays round the tent thats the dog not my sister, and enjoyed long walks. We left our elkhounds at my mums to check out camping with a dog. We would have to tether our young dog due to live stock but our golden oldie would be fine. There where plenty of dogs on the site and we found a pub where you could take your dog in while you ate, we kept sally the springer with us all the time, she slept in her cage in the tent. We had a great time and i have never seen sally as quite as she was at the end of her holiday.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 06:52 PM
My sister goes camping every year with her friends and their dogs.
This will be Max's first year, but before that, there has been 2 boxers and a lab.
This year there is 4 boxers and a lab lol

Will point her to this thread for you
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 07:38 PM
took our pup camping last year and it was great, he loved it ( and the horses in the next field!!!)
There are plenty of dog friendly beaches, I read recently North Wales and the Llynn Penninsula were awful for havhing non doggy friendly beaches but that's not the case...some strips of beach have a dog ban in place, but you often find the bit round the corner is not only fine, but empty as people think the dog bit will be covered in poo...which of course it isn't. Ask the locals and watch where the other doggy people are going.
We didn't have a problem with meals etc as he's allowed in with us but there are plenty of pubs that allow dogs, if not inside, ceertainly outside...
Hope this helps and hope you have fun!
Ailsa x
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 08:11 PM
when we go for a meal we normally sit out side and normally find dog friendly beaches. the dogs love it they get loads of walks, it took ben 2 days to get over his last trip away, mind u he made a new friend a 9 yr old boy who ran bens legs off, was on the go till 11pm and when he layed down for a rest the little fella covered him up with a blanket LOL ben loves his camping hols
bluemurphy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I took my dogs camping last year and I take them all the time now. They love it and so do we.
One good tip is to take some baby wipes to wipe their feet before allowing them back in the tent.
Most pubs in camping areas allow you to take your dog in with you as long as it is quite well behaved. Including those that serve food. You`ll struggle to find any posh restaurants that`ll let you in though. There are books and brochure's that list a lot of dog friendly sites and places to visit. In fact I have struggled getting into pubs in Scotland with Children more than dogs!
It would be a good idea if anyone who goes camping/ caravaning could write a short review of the site they went to and the places they visited on here. Maybe with a few pics so the rest of us know whether to try it or not.
Our favorite place is the Langdale Valley in the Lake District. Fantastic views and walks and enough amazing dog friendly country pubs to walk to. Sod it am going for the weekend now!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 10:07 AM
we took hector for the fist time last year and he loved it. we tied him to ground stake with a long lead.
you'll find that you cant leave them alone on the campsite so you have to take them with you everywhere, but if you plan ahead then you wont have a problem.

we went to Burns Farm near Keswick. i highly reccommend it.

there are plenty of books that tell you the dog friendly pubs and places to visit.

all our holidays are now camping with the dog as we dont like putting him in kennels. thats just emergencies only now!!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Oooooh I love camping with my dogs. We sleep in a 4 berth tent with 2 kids, 2 adults and 2 very large NI's so were all squashed together like sardines but its little things like that that makes it special.
We love the lakes as so many walks and loads to do with the dogs. Most areas allow dogs even some shops like Elliotts in Keswick which is great value for all camping stuff.
We dont actually ever eat inside when camping, we love nothing more than setting up the table with candles, wine and a ready cooked chicken with a ready made salad (as little preparation as poss ) or a bbq and watching the sunset on the Derwent. Bliss. Think I hear a calling for a visit to Keswick again.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >