Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
I know the ones you mean Olyy...infact my son used to have one.......

Lucky you could be worth a look in the loft ,let me know if you find it and try it ,id like to know if it works
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi Alisa,
I carry both the pet corrector and water whilst out on a walk. The way to use the pet corrector properly is to intervene with it before a situation breaks into a fight. An example was one day a lady walking near us had a german shepherd dog running at her poodle. You could tell that the GS did not want to play (body language, snarling, ready to kill basically) I pushed the button on the pet corrector areosol and the gs stopped short in his tracks.The pet corrector causes NO HARM to the dogs it's just a warning almost like the way a snake will hiss or even a cat in defence mode will. Most species will associate a hiss as a warning.

A small bottle of water is literally a lifesaver, it is not inconvienient to carry for example a small bottle like the cocacola 500ml will do the trick. One day I came across a doberman attacking a yorkie loads of men were unsuccessfully trying to get the doberman of the yorkie. I poured the water on the dobermans head and instantly he dropped the yorkie. The vet told the owner without a doubt had it not been for the water the yorkie would have died.

Unfortunatley in the real world there are a lot of dog owners who are not like us dogwebbers; they really do not have a clue. It may feel like you are carrying the kitchen sink on walks but to be able to protect our own (or even other peoples precious family members) has to be worth it's weight in gold.

I highly reccomend the pet corrector for this reason.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 04:34 PM
It is definitely worth a try as there are so many idiots around
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 05:18 PM
we don't carry anything with us yet because the one and only time Suki has been under threat OH scooped her up until the owner came to retrieve it's pesky dog.

It is worrying though as Suki at the moment would react with agression if she was threatened. I had to separate Suki and her sister in full fight mode and that was hard enough!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Don't know how you manage to stop the pesky top coming off the pet corrector, lost count of how many times the thing has gone missing indoors never mind out on a walk. Not that my dogs fight but water on their heads would have no effect they play with the hose.
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
Don't know how you manage to stop the pesky top coming off the pet corrector, lost count of how many times the thing has gone missing indoors never mind out on a walk. Not that my dogs fight but water on their heads would have no effect they play with the hose.
I know what you mean trouble what works for one does not work for all!! Training discs which make a noise when you drop them can also be a detterent for some dogs. I guess you really do have to take the kitchen sink with you to keep you safe on a walk
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-05-2006, 07:22 PM
I've always got my voice, apparently i scare the sh*t out of most people when i yell, and so far dogs have been no exception. I do appreciate though that for some less vocally endowed and some people not quite as confident around dogs they probably do need to carry something. Would something like a P.E whistle on a string round your neck work? ( something really loud and piercing and light to carry )
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I carry a whistle when out with the up, canimagine it may stop them at least...the water seems like a good idea as you may have that with you anyway...also like the rape alarm idea...sort of multi purpose too which is good. Would thatb hurt a dog's ears though...concerned for my mutts not the approaching viscious one of course!!!!
tupence2p
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Olly
... those old football rattles, you might remember them a sort of ratchet thing that was swung round by hand and made a dreadful noise,the trouble is finding one
Good old Ebay - http://search.ebay.co.uk/football-rattle_W0QQfromZR40
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

23-05-2006, 10:04 AM
look what i found on ebay. cost 99p including battery is 130+decibels complete with clip to go on your belt or can be attached via the leash clip on a loop on your jacket or a belt loop. seems quite robust and well made, pulled the cord to try it out, made my ears ring for a while but the dogs looked startled but not too bothered, Syd just wanted to eat it. so probably would work against a strange dog in an emergency and also attackers, alarm keeps going for about an hour or until you replace the pin.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >