Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 10:19 AM

Dog deterrents

Since I've been on DW I've been shocked at the number of dogs that have been attacked whilst out and about.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive and I knew it happened, it's just been how often it's happened and the severity of the attacks.
Anyway, it's made me a bit wary of walking my lot, especially free running them on my own...

One of the doggy magazines this month had a section on trainers 'kit bags', what they carry out with them when walking. This month, the trainer carried one of those aerosol cans that make a noise and let out blasts of air, to deter any unwanted doggy visits to his dogs when out and about. I personally don't like those cannisters BUT thought...'hmmmmmm, not a bad idea to get rid of unwanted attention...'

I value your opinions, so thought I'd ask...what do you carry, if anything, incase a dog with the wrong motives approaches or attacks????? At the moment I don't carry anything......(not that deters dogs anyway).
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 10:21 AM
i suppose they might help ...not really sure as i have never in 20 yrs had a prob on walks guess i have been lucky
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I am planning on getting one for when walking our new dog as a last resort deterrent. My mother in laws dog was badly attacked by a stray dog, and it sounds like an option as there are so many irresponsible people about.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Inca, you are lucky!!!!! Want to live where you are. I have noticed a vast increase in the number of youths walking 'trophy' dogs round here, which worries me a bit ( a lot actually!!!!)
Heidi...that's exactly what I'm worried about, you just don't know, and I don't want my dogs picking up any tension from me when there are other dogs approaching....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2006, 10:31 AM
No i don't, i have thought about it but what with the leads, the water bottle, the balls and the treats, not to mention the clicker dangling from my wrist and the poo bags and tisssues in varous pockets i already feel like i carry everything except the kitchen sink. I have only had a few occassions when out walking with Sydney, that i have had concerns about other dogs intentions towards him, one was 2 dogues to bordeaux the other a rottie. On both times i used my voice and stepped between them. Syd however will not react to aggression from other dogs, he will walk away when told and if necessary run in big circles to give himself space.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by trouble21
No i don't, i have thought about it but what with the leads, the water bottle, the balls and the treats, not to mention the clicker dangling from my wrist and the poo bags and tisssues in varous pockets i already feel like i carry everything except the kitchen sink.

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt043 :smt043

Me too!!!! Off to start a different thread on what people take out with them now!!!!!!!
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Maybe they could help when in that situation. Never used one.

Guess i have been lucky. I have never had a prob with other dogs on walks. If on the rare occasion there was a dog I hadn't liked aproaching mine I have use my voice.

I don't carry anything with me to deter but sounds a good idea.

Min xxxxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2006, 10:46 AM
maybe a rape alarm that dangles from your wrist would be ok, it would be to hand at least. my problem with the canisters is the top comes off, it runs out and you could drop it.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 01:16 PM
You might remember that quite recently i told you that several dogs in our local area had been attacked ,well that got me thinking and frankly scared and i decided that any sudden unexpected noise MIGHT be enough to shock the attackers into stopping ,so i found a tin and some stones and its surpriseing what a noise they can make when rattled ..............but when not in use they drive you mad rattleing around in your bag as you walk,so its back to the drawing board ,but what i think would be great is one of those old football rattles, you might remember them a sort of ratchet thing that was swung round by hand and made a dreadful noise,the trouble is finding one
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 01:59 PM
I know the ones you mean Olyy...infact my son used to have one.......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >