Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Lump from tick

Monty has just had his first ever tick today which has now been removed but i'm worried about the lump that is left behind.

The tick had latched on to him at the top of his tail where his tail joins his back. We removed it and know that we definitely got it all out as it still had all it legs attached. However he now has a large-ish raised lump where the tick was removed.

Is this normal or should I be worried about this? I'm not sure how long the tick had been there but i don't think it could've been more than a day or so.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Perfectly normal, horrid things ticks!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:46 PM
dont worry you often get a slight reaction
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Phew! That's alright then. I thought i'd probably be worrying about nothing but i've never had to deal with a tick before!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Ive taken up a new hobby "Tick collecting LOl between 3 of them we have collected 6 today!!!!!!!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Ive taken up a new hobby "Tick collecting LOl between 3 of them we have collected 6 today!!!!!!!!!
Blimey! I suppose with Monty it's easier to spot them because he's short coated. I suppose we've also been very lucky that at nearly three years old this is his first!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Rupe got a HUGE lump where a tick had attached. We went to the vet with it (not having internet at the time we couldn't ask advice) and were told it's fairly normal, especially in a dog who's never picked up a tick before. None of the others swelled up like this one did.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Rupe got a HUGE lump where a tick had attached. We went to the vet with it (not having internet at the time we couldn't ask advice) and were told it's fairly normal, especially in a dog who's never picked up a tick before. None of the others swelled up like this one did.
Thanks your post, I was stressing earlier on whether I should take him to the vets or not!
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Ticks get quite buried in so its totally normal for there to be a bump for quite a while! When I had one on me it left me with a bump for about a month!

keep an eye on it and if it gets irritated or looks sore or infected then give the vets a call but I wouldnt worry until then.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 01:34 PM
was the whole tick removed? if it was i wouldnt worry but sometimes the head/legs get left behind
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >