View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks chaps. I have to say I've avoided Thornit, even though you guys have all mentioned it as the vet I saw said advocate will work better on him and that she didn't really rate Thornit.

Hmmmmm, quandary.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Thanks chaps. I have to say I've avoided Thornit, even though you guys have all mentioned it as the vet I saw said advocate will work better on him and that she didn't really rate Thornit.

Hmmmmm, quandary.
I have had 2 dogs in classes recently (one Lab and one CKCS)who have had on going ear problems.

With the CKCS we have shaved the insides of his ears and used thronit and it has taken 4 weeks (after 2 years of issues) and he now has clear ears.

For £8/9 is it not worth a shot?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes. I guess it is. I just said to myself that in terms of '''stuff'' I would only follow vets advice otherwise I end up getting confusseld, if you know what I mean ;o)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes. I guess it is. I just said to myself that in terms of '''stuff'' I would only follow vets advice otherwise I end up getting confusseld, if you know what I mean ;o)
But you did come asking for advice Pidge, , and as many have said, Thornit is worth a try even while using Advocate.

Not sure why you ask for advice , then say you are going to ignore it, as you are only going to folow your vets!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But you did come asking for advice Pidge, , and as many have said, Thornit is worth a try even while using Advocate.

Not sure why you ask for advice , then say you are going to ignore it, as you are only going to folow your vets!!
I knew someone would pick up on that. Here is my original post. I've highlighted in bold the questions and bits I need advice on. Just making it clear. I'm very rubbish at getting my point across so sorry for the confusion.

Long story short -

*Asked new vets to look at ears as have been saying for ages to old vets that they aren't right (smelly and dark crust/wax).
*New vets said had very bad case of ear mites in both ears and cleaned them out for him, giving us drops. Had to muzzle as has fear of having them touched.
*Next day muzzled him and cleaned them, no probs but doesn't love it.
*That night he got a grass seed in right ear.
*Took to vets first thing who sedated him and removed it as it had barbed to the drum. Advised best to leave the drops now as may irritate after grass seed removal.
*Four days later took him back to vets for check up on mites and grass seed removal. Muzzled him but as soon as vet approached he went MENTAL!
*Vet said was best to leave it and gave Metacam for inflammation and advocate to put on in three weeks time. Was not happy as cost £65 for all this and we don't even know if he still has the mites!!

He let's me look in them but wont let anyone touch in them, so cleaning is impossible unless I muzzle him, but even then he is SO fearful.

What I need to know is am I doing him more harm by trying to clean them or should I just leave him alone completely for the next few doses of advocate at least? Also, I am certain the fear is because they have been so sore for such a long time so he doesn't want anyone touching them, but will this eventually go as they get better or do I need to muzzle him for the rest of his life?
I also said in this next post that I am only following vets advice on products.

Yes. I guess it is. I just said to myself that in terms of ''stuff'' I would only follow vets advice otherwise I end up getting confusseld, if you know what I mean ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Having said that I still may consider Thornitt as so many of you seem to swear by it.

I am more concerned about the questions in bold for now though.

Thanks.
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I cannot understand why anyone would not try Thornit. It has been mentioned so many times and yet poor Woody continues to suffer to the stage that he is being driven crazy by the state of his ears.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by whippetwatch View Post
I cannot understand why anyone would not try Thornit. It has been mentioned so many times and yet poor Woody continues to suffer to the stage that he is being driven crazy by the state of his ears.
Did you miss my last post?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Having said that I still may consider Thornitt as so many of you seem to swear by it.

I am more concerned about the questions in bold for now though.

Thanks.
But the question in bold Pidge will disappear if you clear the problem up.. so be using Thornit and what your vet has suggested , you will and have got the answer to your problem

Woody wont let you near his ears because they hurt, when you try to clean them, by using something that clears the problem up, he will allow you to clean his ears
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 07:18 PM
hi pidge
i know me again! is your vet saying woody still has ear mites??
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >