Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2014, 05:49 PM

Wainwrights puppy guide

Maddie is on Simpsons at the moment but she wolfs her food down (she doesn't even chew if i give her a few at a time!) so i am looking at changing her to large breed food.
As her expected weight is around 23kg i don't see the harm in large breed which is usually >25kg.

Anyway, i'm trying to find the most affordable (about to finish uni and haven't got a job yet) and am looking at Wainwrights or AG. AG is cheaper but i feel bad putting her on the same flavour for life (i know she likely won't care).

Does anyone have the feeding guide for Wainwright's puppy? Whichdogfood uses the adult guide which says she will need about 260g compared to 330g as an adult which isn't right to me.

Or does anyone know a kibble with large biscuits without large breed? Simpsons and Acana are both too small for her and makes her regurgitate. At the moment she gets a meal split into two over about 20 mins but i don't like her not chewing

thanks
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Hi Holly,

If she doesn't chew normal kibble she is unlikely to chew the bigger stuff, if you worry about her eating too fast use a different method of delivery - throw on kitchen floor/in garden/use food dispensing balls/bowls designed to slow them down.

Both my girls are chewers but all my other dogs have almost inhaled food they ate it soo fast
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2014, 09:33 AM
The Kong wobbler never stopped her. She came to me in fish4puppies large bite and chewed that, I just have to moisten the kibble or she coughs
I don't want to put her back on f4d as I think its gotten too expensive for its worth
The only time I've heard her occasionally chew is when I'd give her a treat and that's once in a blue moon.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2014, 09:57 AM
I feed mine (among other things) Lupo Sensitive.
It's marginally cheaper than Wainwrights (£36.90 for 15kg, cheaper for more) and is cold pressed, so falls apart in water rather than swelling up like normal dry extruded kibble

The chunks are pretty big too; here are some next to some of the big F4D bobbles

If nobody has got the WW feeding guide for you by then, I'll get it in work for you and post it when I get home tonight
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Thank you so much bluejay!!
I may have a look into lupo, its at least worth a go!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2014, 03:36 PM
To save starting a new thread i will ask here:
How is the berriewood breeder poilcy? do any non breeders/workers buy the breeder bags?
Just asking as it looks like it may be AG for a while as it's the cheapest option with a large kibble and i'm about to finish uni and want to try and make my loans last until i get a job
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Hi Holly,

If she doesn't chew normal kibble she is unlikely to chew the bigger stuff, if you worry about her eating too fast use a different method of delivery - throw on kitchen floor/in garden/use food dispensing balls/bowls designed to slow them down.

Both my girls are chewers but all my other dogs have almost inhaled food they ate it soo fast
Great advice there. Bella doesn't 'not chew' but is greedy and gets fat quickly (well when you are only 4.5kg to start with, even a few pounds extra makes you look like a sausage on legs!)

I put her kibble in an empty plastic small water bottle. She then loves chasing it round the patio and making a helluva noise with it and chucking it up in the air. And it takes her ten times as long to eat it and she gets a little extra exercise and mental stimulation too. She hasn't had kibble in a bowl for ages now. I used to put it in her Kong but she finds that just too easy peasy. Holds it with one paw and wolfs it all down in seconds.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm very cautions about scattering as i have a 14yr old cat who i don't want to be pushed out of where i feed her and she gets bored very easily with looking for stuff whether it be food or toys.
Large bite does calm her down and i think i have about 2 or 3 wks before beginning to wean her onto large bite.

What i'm currently doing (time examples):
8am: 50 grams
8.15ish: 50 grams
7pm: 50grams
7.15ish: 50 grams

This has stopped her throwing up, once in about two days i've been doing it she has burped as though she's going to be sick but that's all.