Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dujoiedevie View Post
About prong. No, I don't use it to my current tervs. No need to. If needed, I'd use it, but in Finland it is forbidden by law. Right use of the prong is very humane for dog. But you mostly see wrong use, so that's about it.
But I have use it on my male, who has already passed away few years ago. And at that rehearsal I wouldn't have use it , if I'd known better at that time.
J
Thanks for answering, I didn't realise they were actually banned in Finland.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:20 PM
And this is to all: Well, now I'd love to know, WHAT is the efficient way to use food as rewards on your opinion? And I'd love to see your own ideas, no copypasting or links, because those links prove me only that you can read. Good copypaster is not necessarily a good trainer. Lets take something simple, heeling, turns, how to do it with food, why, and how to do it in competition or test, when the dog is ready?

J
Well, I tend to use food first as a lure (but only for a short time). I mainly use clicker to teach, which often does mean luring for a short time, then once the cue/command is understood, the reward (for work well done) is put on a variable reward schedule.

However the dog also gets toys and play etc as rewards once the basics are learnt....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2006, 03:23 PM
If dog doesn't want to consider you as the leader, the boss, the one and the only, what do you do then? Nelli's sire also had few mistakes about the sunshine routes, but Nelli didn't. So I had to solve it. How would you solve 'independent dog'-problem?

J
Oh do you think it is by accident that my dogs think of me as wonderful Well actually I disagree, it is down to a great deal of effort from the moment they came home , using methods that have evolved over many years rather than been taught by someone else. We have still yet to hear how you train using pack drive or even any reference posted by you as to how even elementary commands are taught, even though you have been asked repeatedly by various people.
Dujoiedevie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Oh do you think it is by accident that my dogs think of me as wonderful
No I don't. That was just a plain question.

We have still yet to hear how you train using pack drive or even any reference posted by you as to how even elementary commands are taught, even though you have been asked repeatedly by various people.
It is there, but seems that you didn't read it because you have been too busy to find dots in wrong places. Heel and sit, two basic commands are in this thread already. And when the dog knows what it is to sit in front of me, it also knows how to do it on the distance. On normal walks dog just has to come close to me so I can touch it and in the beginning I just used a long light line. When I said "come", dog didn't had too many options, which again doesn't need any violence or forcing, because relationship was built already at home. Later I just hide in the bushes, they will come to look for me.

Those questions I made have answers inside also. Dogs and pack drive works the same way, they learn to seek an answer and satisfaction thru understanding and finding it. Reward and succes comes when it solves the problem right way. Food is used as reward, so is rewarding with pack drive. Thats why I asked why dogs have drives. Or are you really saying that learn the dog sit using food means putting 50 kilos of sausage on its loin area, so it can't stand anymore?

J
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

16-11-2006, 04:34 PM
No I don't. That was just a plain question.

It is there, but seems that you didn't read it because you have been too busy to find dots in wrong places. Heel and sit, two basic commands are in this thread already. And when the dog knows what it is to sit in front of me, it also knows how to do it on the distance. On normal walks dog just has to come close to me so I can touch it and in the beginning I just used a long light line. When I said "come", dog didn't had too many options, which again doesn't need any violence or forcing, because relationship was built already at home. Later I just hide in the bushes, they will come to look for me.

Those questions I made have answers inside also. Dogs and pack drive works the same way, they learn to seek an answer and satisfaction thru understanding and finding it. Reward and succes comes when it solves the problem right way. Food is used as reward, so is rewarding with pack drive. Thats why I asked why dogs have drives. Or are you really saying that learn the dog sit using food means putting 50 kilos of sausage on its loin area, so it can't stand anymore?

J
Ok well I think it was me that posted that link, when I was searching around looking for an explanation of exactly what pack drive is. I also said that I find much of the jargon used today a bit bewildering and I have always trained my dogs very successfully but in a fashion I sometimes find hard to explain to others. I do what comes naturally to me and it seems to work very well. I too always teach my dog to be very focused on me but actually never use a lead while training, unless of course teaching lead work. I do however use food in the very early stages but it is soon dispensed with. So I don't think you should feel as though you have been jumped on, I think something has been lost in translation somewhere along the way, and while no dog can be trained on a forum as far as I know the dogs don't read the posts the owners do, and all we wanted was an explanation so that we can understand and perhaps discuss your training methods.
I don't carry any food with me at all let alone 50lb of sausage. This thread is sooooo long with sooooo little actual info it is difficult to find the post you refer to. I don't use jargon such as pack drive, but some of the methods you use such as hiding in the woods lots of us having been using for over 30 years it really is nothing new and revolutionary.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Your right Trouble soooo long, lets stop now, I agree pack drive is a lot to do with the natural things like hiding in the woods, making the dog look for us its how I started walking Inka and Kain, I never called I made them have to look where I was going, I want to analyse the scent whistling theory now...please.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

16-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Your right Trouble soooo long, lets stop now, I agree pack drive is a lot to do with the natural things like hiding in the woods, making the dog look for us its how I started walking Inka and Kain, I never called I made them have to look where I was going, I want to analyse the scent whistling theory now...please.
Ok well go alert Maz and we can start on his theory.
Sorry if anyone thinks I am having a go at jenni, I am just trying to discover what this bl**dy packdrive is, turns out I have probably been using it for over 30years in complete ignorance so there you go In my case ignorance has been bliss.
Dujoiedevie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't use jargon such as pack drive, but some of the methods you use such as hiding in the woods lots of us having been using for over 30 years it really is nothing new and revolutionary.
Most of people in here are under 30 years of age, but thats nothing new and revolutionary either. And I never said it was anything new and revolutionary, but of course calling pack drive 'pack drive' is easier than say 'hide-in-the-woods-have-fun-with-your-dog-touch-it-talk-to-it-drive' , don't ya think so...

J
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

16-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Most of people in here are under 30 years of age, but thats nothing new and revolutionary either. And I never said it was anything new and revolutionary, but of course calling pack drive 'pack drive' is easier than say 'hide-in-the-woods-have-fun-with-your-dog-touch-it-talk-to-it-drive' , don't ya think so...

J
Actually without meaning any offence I think your explanations so far have been very far from clear. The hiding in the woods lark has been discussed on this forum on numerous occasions too.
Dujoiedevie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Unbelievable...

What ever, read all of it just the way you want. I wrote earlier that banging my head in the wall doesn't increase my drives. This is now just meaningless arguing. If it makes you feel better, I say: yes, I haven't been clear. No, I am not understandable. Yes, I have lost in translation, Yes, you are right. Yes, I will use food. Yes, I love those links.

Happy now?

J
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >