View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Was doing a long post, pressed the wrong button half way through and lost it , age limit for tatoos is 18 for piercings 16 under with parental consent, but think the worst without asking questions bout how I had it done jb woman who did it was fully qualified, and owned her own shop where she lived, shock horror how irresponisible, funnily enough when I stopped college I had it done by someone equally qualified in her kitchen!!! Mind you this threads making me want it done again...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I remember a cousin of mine being expelled for a week for having his hair cut he came back with a skin head after being told it was too long. I can still hear the conversation in the corridor between him and the teacher.

Re: the piercing issue it was not sure if it still is illegal to pierce under the age of 16 without parents consent.

Nowadays we have many travellers children attending schools and piercing is part of their culture so not sure if this is why the rule is more lenient these days because we cannot discriminate.

I remember some friends doing their own ear piercing with a cork and an ice cube they of course had to remove the earing before coming to school as it was not allowed and in my day you did as you were told unless you wanted your parents to hear of your misdemeanors.

I expect many young girls go out of the door with their skirts at a respectable length and then hitch them up when out of parents sight.
Oh yes, I remember that bit well it was the 60's though the age of the original mini skirt!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Disagree. The uniform brings a form of discipline and order and you can't tell at a glance which child has rich parents and which comes from a poor background so giving every child in the school equality.

Sorry, but kids with spikey orange hair, studs in noses, tongues, ears and anywhere else they can think of and wearing clothes that look as though they have been slept in for a month despite their designer labels to me begs disorder in the classroom.
I understand you disagree and understand that people 'think' their is a connection between dress and behaviour, but people dont actually explain why or how that is so?

For example, if their is a logical connection (and their may well be?), how do yu explain my examples of america and denmark?

Also, im no fashion expert, but i think the studded pink hair brigade are 'anti designer label'?
In as much as they rebel against the uniform of dress code, be it suits, school uniform, or urban designer street wear (which, by the way, inner city UK and USA, you can get killed for wearing incorrectly, or opting, for example, instead, to dress like a studded goth.
That sort fashion fascism does exist.)
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh yes, I remember that bit well it was the 60's though the age of the original mini skirt!
Oh yes I was there too
The difference is that if I was told to "unhitch" my skirt I did so. I didn't give a mouthful of abuse of worse still pull a knife, which from what I can see is the sort of thing that happens today.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Oh yes I was there too
The difference is that if I was told to "unhitch" my skirt I did so. I didn't give a mouthful of abuse of worse still pull a knife, which from what I can see is the sort of thing that happens today.
Very true Jen, we'd just give it the Kevin "look" or utter the words "parents" or "teachers" Blimey, it would never have occurred to us to carry a lethal weapon in those days would it! Different World Jen, a very scarey place, I'm glad I didn't have kids, I'd be worried sick.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
I understand you disagree and understand that people 'think' their is a connection between dress and behaviour, but people dont actually explain why or how that is so?

For example, if their is a logical connection (and their may well be?), how do yu explain my examples of america and denmark?

Also, im no fashion expert, but i think the studded pink hair brigade are 'anti designer label'?
In as much as they rebel against the uniform of dress code, be it suits, school uniform, or urban designer street wear (which, by the way, inner city UK and USA, you can get killed for wearing incorrectly, or opting, for example, instead, to dress like a studded goth.
That sort fashion fascism does exist.)
I think I tried to in my post....maybe?! Trying to think back to those days, I do remember how it made me feel having to wear a uniform.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I think I tried to in my post....maybe?! Trying to think back to those days, I do remember how it made me feel having to wear a uniform.
where is yr post?

i remember it made me feel dull and bland

i didnt think in my head at the time that what i was wearing related to my behaviour
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
where is yr post?

i remember it made me feel dull and bland

i didnt think in my head at the time that what i was wearing related to my behaviour
Previous page post 442. I gave my reasons for thinking it could make a difference? Then again, it's going to take a lot more than that I know, but we've got to start somewhere with them haven't we, and the classroom is as good a place as any imo!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 07:55 PM
and the classroom is as good a place as any imo!
no disagreement from me.
bu that is a seperate point to the one i have been making

im looking forward to educating my child in the superior class room environments of DK whilst also not having the requirement to bother with school uniforms
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Reading about the school uniform, I think it would be a great idea for whoever, to make this compulsory again (coz it was compulsory in my day, but I'm going back a bit here).

school uniform is compulsory now, it alwaYS has been

If you look back to when you had to wear your school uniform, I think it changes your persona somewhat, in that you're not the gobby adolescent that you are when you're hanging about with your mates,

we were gobby when i was at school. the uniform didnt define our persona, that was down to everything else.

you are part of a "team" who are all wearing the same and all feeling just as much of a pratt as you are, it kind of "humbles" you a bit I seem to remember? (yes, I was a bit of a rebel at school ) Maybe, if these hoodies were made to wear such a uniform it could make them see themselves in a different light, whereas normally, they stick themselves in their own ranks as to who's better than who, who's harder than who, purely because of the designer labels they wear? So in fact, you are actually taking them out of that "pressure" by wearing it, to be part of this gang or that gang, or better than him or her, and it could well quieten things down in the schoolyard, which in turn, might help outside of it?

Just a thought...... of which I have many.... some good, some not so good lol!
in my school the uniform marked a gang, so some kids from my school would meet up with kids from another for a ruck.

in the inner cities school uniform (which they do wear) doesnt remove the pressure to wear the hoodie kit.
in the estates the gangs basically impose this dress code on the other kids like a fashion fascism.

so they wear school uniform but are still dangerous.
in denmark they dont wear school uniform but they are safe
in america they dont wear school uniform but are dangerous.

go figure.

it must be to do with something else, something cultural
?
Page 46 of 47 « First < 36 43 44 45 46 47 >