View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Well there have been a few on here that met my "bullied, depressed, scared, beaten and flat" CM trained Border at Crufts, I dont know how he coped being treated like that!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2008, 06:35 PM

These are my "bullied, depressed, scared, beaten and flat" CM trained motley crew, they seem to be coping quite well.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well there have been a few on here that met my "bullied, depressed, scared, beaten and flat" CM trained Border at Crufts, I dont know how he coped being treated like that!
Do you rattle toasters in his face ? Do you use a prong or shock collar on him of pin him to the floor for the slightest thing ? If no then to call him a `CM` trained dog is`nt accurate at all Dawn.
To use basic common sense instinctive stuff that has been done long since CM was around, [ being calm and consistent about training particularly, bearing in mind CM does`nt actually `train`... ], does`nt make him a `CM` trained dog, and frankly you seem to be giving CM credit he`s just not due
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
However, the people and dogs shown on dog whisperer don't seem to have a clue and the dogs seem to be allowed to do pretty much what they want, and have always done this and their behaviours are getting more and more extreme, hence the fact that CM has to be extreme in order to bring on a reality check. t
I totally agree with this. It's a TV show and so they need to show the more extreme cases to keep the viewer's interest. Probably the exact methods that CM uses on the TV show would not be applicable to most dogs, but I like his ethos. I think his book will be much more informative than his TV show (just ordered it from Amazon).

I was just wondering, what was it that was seen to be barbaric on his show? I haven't seen anything I would consider barbaric, but maybe I missed something?

Cheers!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Trouble: frankly I'm disgusted ! It looks to me like you have used a prong collar on those dogs, shocked them with an e collar AND pinned them to the floor ! They look thoroughly scared with no spark left in them at all.

AND is that footprints I espy on their sides ? Expect a call from the RSPCA forthwith !!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Ah, just read Ben Mcfuzzylugs post...yes I agree what he did with the duck sounds awful (I haven't seen that episode). It was a live duck? I'm shocked by that.

I think the reason he doesn't reward is probably because he is using the 'alpha' training and in the wild a pack leader wouldn't reward it's pack for doing something right. The pack HAS to do what the leader says to enure their survival. That's how I understand it anyway.

(I do praise my dog when training, although I don't praise him for things like getting down off my bed).
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Trouble: frankly I'm disgusted ! It looks to me like you have used a prong collar on those dogs, shocked them with an e collar AND pinned them to the floor ! They look thoroughly scared with no spark left in them at all.

AND is that footprints I espy on their sides ? Expect a call from the RSPCA forthwith !!

Which just goes to show that Trouble is also giving CM credit he does`nt deserve. It would be better if CM learned from her quite frankly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Do you rattle toasters in his face ? Do you use a prong or shock collar on him of pin him to the floor for the slightest thing ? If no then to call him a `CM` trained dog is`nt accurate at all Dawn.
To use basic common sense instinctive stuff that has been done long since CM was around, [ being calm and consistent about training particularly, bearing in mind CM does`nt actually `train`... ], does`nt make him a `CM` trained dog, and frankly you seem to be giving CM credit he`s just not due
Your opinion Patch. I do use CM techniques on Orey, and many including yourself say he bullies, scares, frightens and demoralises dogs, well mine aint!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Which just goes to show that Trouble is also giving CM credit he does`nt deserve. It would be better if CM learned from her quite frankly.
Hey, my rates are rather reasonable I do it for lurve
Seriously though I have read both books and I would say his way is definately the closest to the way I train, and as you have no doubt read the earlier parts of this thread you know that doesn't involve any of the stuff that gets people hyper ventilating. He just writes better books than me to be fair. Obviously I didn't learn all of it from him because I've had my own dog since I was 13 and I'd never heard of him until 3 years ago. All I wish is people would realise there is sooo much more to his methods than that seen on the tv
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Good for you Trouble. You're way better a dog handler than me then, 'cos quite frankly I'm feeling a bit bloody stupid to say the least. I struggled incessantly with my Hal, only beginning to make some breakthroughs during the last year or so of his life when I discovered CM. You've been doing this for years !! As you know, we have taken on a rescue called Tai, a lovely dog, the spitting image of my Hal but not an alpha male, so therefore a lot less challenging. However, similar nonetheless. We have only had Tai just over a couple of weeks, and in that short time this is what we have achieved ... using Cesar's methods, for which I will not take any credit:

He now no longer barges through doorways, down stairs etc. Even when getting ready to take him out for his walk, he shows an acceptable level of excitement, rather than manic circling, and generally gittish behaviour

Without being asked, he will now always sit for his evening meal and chicken wing snacks that he has following his two walks. He sits calmly waiting for the permission to eat instead of almost knocking you over to get at the food

His recall is now excellent. There is one exception ... a labrador bitch who he particularly likes and he does run across to say hello to her, but because we know her well, and the owner, and we are all chilled together, we turn a blind eye to this transgression, which is wrong and inconsistent I know, but this is me being soft!

When off the lead, I can call him off from chasing loose chickens in the field. I always forget to put him on the lead before passing this particular house, and once or twice we have been caught out with escapee chickens, but no worries, Tai has come back to me when called

He walks to heel beautifully, with the lead loose and relaxed. He is terribly well behaved in the pub, settling down immediately and ignoring the sometimes hostile overtures coming from other dogs. This is achieved with a simple "shhh" when he did retaliate with a bit of a rumble on one occasion.

OH and I cannot take the credit for this, this is down to CM's methods which seem to work so very well with these northern breeds like Hal and Tai.
Page 24 of 102 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 74 > Last »