Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thebaron
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2008, 08:20 AM

westie pup with lions jaw (cmo)

wondering if anyone has any experience of this. bobby 14 weeks now has just been diagnosed with this. he is on metacam once a day. he was in a lot of pain at first, and would not eat, but he appears better now. when i first got him (from a kc breeder) he had ear mites, and could not hear very well, this has been sorted. also have mizi 15 weeks (from a different breeder) she is absolutely fine, no problems at all. my vet has said not to breed booby, as lions jaw can be passed on, suggested a stud dog nearer the time i would like to breed. has anyone got any experience of this and any other suggestions. jane
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Sorry I don't have any experience of it
Have you tried googling lions jaw ?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 10:06 AM
You should contact the breeder as this is an hereditary condition which at least one parent carries. Maybe also worth contacting the Kennel club now that they are hot on sorting out breeders at least it may prevent it happening to someone else, also if nobody tells them how are they supposed to know when this is occurring.

Hope your puppies prognosis is good. It sounds promising if he is improving. If you are thinking of breeding I would check to see if there are any tests that you could take to make sure your other dog isn't a carrier.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Never heard of it before but my thoughts are with you.

Heidi
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Poor pup. Hope he's better soon as I believe this condition, if mild, can be treated and a full recovery made. Definitely contact the breeder.

Why do you want to breed? Are you a breeder already or planning to be?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
You should contact the breeder as this is an hereditary condition which at least one parent carries. Maybe also worth contacting the Kennel club now that they are hot on sorting out breeders at least it may prevent it happening to someone else, also if nobody tells them how are they supposed to know when this is occurring.

Hope your puppies prognosis is good. It sounds promising if he is improving. If you are thinking of breeding I would check to see if there are any tests that you could take to make sure your other dog isn't a carrier.
Just did a quich google search re heredability after this comment and found this:

Test mating undertaken in the USA has proved that CMO is inherited as a simple autosomal recessive trait ie both parents must carry at least one gene for CMO. In other words, the production of a CMO puppy proves that both parents are carriers.

From my basic understanding of genetics this means that all puppies that are out of that paring that are not 'affected' will all be carriers of it and therefore in my opinion this mating should not be repeated.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I wonder who you bought him from? A friend of mine had a similar condition in a Westie pup some years ago- the vet treated it with steroids and all was ok in the end. It was touch and go and a fair chance that she would lose the pup.

I think the breeder is still selling pups but most of the folk in the area steer clear of them. My friend later bought another pup but made sure she went to a different breeder for it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.sctc.org.uk/CMO.html
thebaron
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2008, 10:35 PM
lilliput, i bought the pup from a breeder in ayrshire. i hope its not the same person.
thebaron
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2008, 10:39 PM
shona, thanks for the link. jane
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >