Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Cockerel Crowing...LAW!!

the people over the back have started breeding Bantam chickens and their cockerel is crowing all day from 7.30am, and with OH on nights the summer will be noisey!

now at the moment its not too much of a problem BUT....... when it gets light at 3.30am in the summer this is going to cause big problems waking everyone up so early as most people will have their windows open.

whats the best way to resolve this?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2008, 01:21 PM
cockerels dont crow 3.30am in the summer, as they are locked in sheds.
if they were outside at 3.30am they wouldnt be crowing for long, they would be fox dinner.

i lived by a farm for 12 years, earliest i ever heard a cockerel was around 6am. but mostly days i never even noticed.

its not a problem though, its just one of those things you have to live with, like airplanes, trains, traffic, etc.

if you dont think about it, you wont even realise you havent heard heard it (also lived by a railway once, never noticed the train noise either)

do you live in the country?
im guessing its just part and parcel, like church bells.
id be surprised if their was a law about cockerels...
...or any farmyard animal really?
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2008, 01:31 PM
It depends on where you live. We live in the middle of a small town, and I know when we bought our house, there was a covenant in the paperwork to state that we would not have "Livestock" at the property, which included chickens. I'm not certain who would enforce it if it were also the case where you live

I also think that between the hours of 11pm and 7am you can complain about noise pollution to your local council.

It depends really on whether you'd rather have rid of the cockerel altogether, as they are not known for being quiet (my parents have two cockerels and they are very talkative ), or if you'd rather find ways to help you live in close proximity to him. If the latter, you could try contacting a society such as the Poultry Club of Great Britain.

I feel for your situation One of our neighbours has a labrador that seems to enjoy yodelling next to our adjoining bedroom walls in the early hours of the morning. I wouldn't ever want to make them get rid of him, as he is very sweet and loving, and they clearly think a great deal of him so I have had to learn to put up with it, as I've spoken to them about it and they can't make him stop (and don't even notice it! ). It doesn't stop me hating him at 4am when I've got three hours left before I have to get up for work!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 01:36 PM
this is not on a farm! and its a residential area.

i dont know wether its classed as a noise nuisance.

i do live in a village and all the noise that goes with it is not a problem but this cockerel is only 20 ft from my bedroom and doesnt stop!

would you like to be kept awake with a cockerel when your on 12 hour nights?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 01:40 PM
in that case you could have a word and if they wont do anything contact the council...

In fact contct them first just to enquire as to what can be done....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 01:40 PM
We have a Cockeral by us.....and live in the middle of Birmingham.
Fortunately he doesn't crow all day, around 7.30 in winter (am) and 4pm. In the Summer around 5.30am and around 9.30pm (if left out) but I think they put him away around 8pm because we don't always hear him. We have got used to him (don't really notice) as we have the railway back of us ( main London Line) and not that far from B'ham airport. they are worse in the summer when out in the garden........low flying airplanes coming into land
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
cockerels dont crow 3.30am in the summer, as they are locked in sheds.
if they were outside at 3.30am they wouldnt be crowing for long, they would be fox dinner.
Sorry to disappoint you but they do!!

Next doors cockerels are locked up overnight and still start crowing about 4am until about lunchtime!

Since we have decidedly horrid neighbours, but also live in the country, we can't do anything about this....

Hectorsmum - I would defintely seek advice from your local council about this. Either Animal Control or Noise Pollution maybe?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Sorry, i didnt notice you work nights. In your first post you said you didnt have much of a problem in the daytime, you inquired as to a potential problem at 3.30am summer mornings.
Hence my reply this isnt necesarily the case, as cockerels are locked away at night any time of the year, otherwise they wouldnt be alive for long.
Maybe you can check out the cockerel housing for yourself to see if this is the case. If not, you make a polite request this happens? The owner might be quite amenable?
To answer your question, I work nights, and my garden adjoins a By-pass.
I am just philosophical, i know that daytimes are noisy.
I find that taking this attitude means my consciousness kind of blots out the heavy traffic noise. And doesnt wake me.
So I would have to be honest and say, if i lived in a rural area, like a village, i'd be the same about noises in that environment as well.
That works for me, but cant speak for yourself, of course.

Do you have any particular problems sleeping?
"If" so, maybe we can give help with this?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but they do!!

Next doors cockerels are locked up overnight and still start crowing about 4am until about lunchtime!

Since we have decidedly horrid neighbours, but also live in the country, we can't do anything about this....

Hectorsmum - I would defintely seek advice from your local council about this. Either Animal Control or Noise Pollution maybe?
must depend if the shed lets daylight in i guess?
the ones that were near me were very blacked out....never heard a peep that early in the morning.
or maybe they did, but it never woke me????

i think you are right about not being able to do much as its the countryside, the same way you cant do much about traffic, as its the town?
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 02:14 PM
i've recently stopped wrking 12 hr night due to being pregnant...I have slept through a tree surgeon using a chain saw in next doors garden.. OH setting the smoke alarm off when cooking bacon sarnies ( thats quite scary) and one of the neighbors having the fire brigade attend a fire in their hedge! after a 12 hr night i could sleep through ANYTHING!!! (even my alarm clock!!!)

hopefully you will grow used to it like traffic etc and it won't interfere with your sleep.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >