View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I do eat meat and fish, i was a vegetarian for a while when i was a teenager. Not bothered about meat though in fact i often prefer vegetarian food anyway and eat more of thatthan meat. Call me a hypocrite but thereare some things i refuse to eat like veal and i wouldn't eat foie gras either.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
I actually have lots of veggies pushing their veggieness onto me - quite aggressivly
I make felt animals out of fleece and I even get aggro about using the fleece because sheep are treated so badly!!
My FB page is constantly bombarded with stats about how cows use more water and energy to produce than corn and stuff like that

I dont mind what anyone eats, I dont try and push my views onto anyone
I understand if someone wants to be a veggie or a vegan but it dosent make them a better person than me - just a different one

I personaly feel it is healthier and more natural to eat a mixture of foods and to eat as little processed foods as possible
I would find it difficult to eat a vegan diet without resorting to lots of processed foods - I have no idea what goes into making meat substitiutes but it cant be that great for the environment either

I strongly believe we should consider the wellfare of all animals, we should look at kind sustainable methods of food production

I dont mind what anyone eats, I just dont like people talking to me like their choice is better for them and for the environment
At the moment I dont think there is any choice that is 100% perfect, we pick the best based on out circumstances and beliefs and noone has the right to tell someone else what they do is wrong if they have thought tru the reasons why they eat what they eat
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I eat meat because I love the taste of it, pure & simple!

I respect anyone who wishes to go veggie or vegan etc, totally up to them. I would never go meat-free however, I really do love it too much.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Just a bit of food for thought - how would you feel about meat grown invitro? Research is being done in this area. Obviously animals would still have to be kept but not actually be slaughtered for it - so would that make a difference to those that eat meat and those that dont?
Have to say i cannot think of anything worse, much the same as GM it will never go near my mouth.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Just a bit of food for thought - how would you feel about meat grown invitro? Research is being done in this area. Obviously animals would still have to be kept but not actually be slaughtered for it - so would that make a difference to those that eat meat and those that dont?

Oh, yes, now we're talking!. Growing things in testtubes/labs, cloning, genetic engineering, all the possibilities...let me at it.

The mad scientist in me's getting rather excitedd, can you tell?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Oh, yes, now we're talking!. Growing things in testtubes/labs, cloning, genetic engineering, all the possibilities...let me at it.

The mad scientist in me's getting rather excitedd, can you tell?
See Im not sure how I feel about it, ok as a veggie I still would not consider it but I just wondered how meat eaters would feel? Would you rather animals died for you to eat meat or not die but still produce meat for you to eat?

Does it sit easier with you animals dieing or a way to produce meat without animals be slaughtered for you to do so.

Its a conundrum (sp?) and I thought it might be worth discussing.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2010, 11:45 PM
See Im not sure how I feel about it, ok as a veggie I still would not consider it but I just wondered how meat eaters would feel? Would you rather animals died for you to eat meat or not die but still produce meat for you to eat?

Does it sit easier with you animals dieing or a way to produce meat without animals be slaughtered for you to do so.

Well, I'm more than happy to oblige with a discussion on it, though I think you may have guessed that already.

To me, its not really a question of wether or not it sits easier with me an animal dying or not, its more a case of how that animal lives. If the animal has a good quality of life is well cared for etc, then I'm happy with that. Wether it dies to feed me, or lives to produce testtube meat.

Lets put it this way, if I had a choice between eating bief from a cow that had been slaughtered but had spent the better part of its life out in the pastures and fresh air, or bief produced by technology where the animal/s used were kept in confined cages, then I'd be going for the former, and vise versa.

The thought of eating something thats been grown by science or geneticly modified doesn't bother me at all, as I find the subject fascinating, so it wouldn't even be a factor in the concidderation process for me. Infact, I'd be more inclined to try it, just to see if it tasts the same if for nothing else.

So, yes, I'd eat mead that was grown/gmo.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2010, 01:55 PM

I agree its worth discussing, just wish the money invested could go into farm animal welfare. I have no prob with raising animlas for food as long as its done well, by the animals and our enviroment, this to me is ethically wrong as GM.
What will happen to our farmers?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I was a vegetarian for 17 years, a strict one as well so I didnt eat anything which contained animal rennet, gelatine or cochineal (E120 found in things like French Fancies, Smarties etc).

However, apart from potatoes, I dont eat a single fruit or veg and have a deep loathing of onions so trying to find things to eat was a nightmare. I could never go out for a meal unless it was Pizza Hut so it was difficult to go out on a date or go out to celebrate something.

Anyway, after 17 years of eating tasteless ready meals I gave up and have started eating meat again, but only beef or chicken. Unlike many veggies, I always liked the taste of meat and it never revolted me, I just chose at the time not to eat it.

I stopped eating meat because of the cruelty involved in rearing and slaughtering livestock but my own health was suffering because of my poor diet. Whenever possible, I always purchase organic, free range etc to minimise my contribution to the suffering, and I always choose British partly because I dont trust foreign meat.
Nola
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Have been a veggie for 15 years and still am!
Page 23 of 25 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 >