Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Heartbroken - Northern Inuit

This has by no means been an easy decision and it is with great sadness that I find myself having to re-home my 7 year old Northern Inuit Misty through no fault of her own.

I have always been home pretty much 24/7 with my dogs but have in the past few months had no choice but to go back into employment. Misty has never coped well with being left for long periods and has not adjusted well to me being away a lot and has become quite destructive and has taken to breaking into my bedroom to pee on my bed (something she has never ever done in the past) and so I feel she is probably getting unduly stressed which is not really fair on her. I have also recently been given notice to leave by my landlord and have only a few weeks until I have to be out and finding anyone (when time and location is limited) that is willing to allow more than one big dog (with just one being a push for most) is proving almost impossible so as heartbreaking as it is I have decided that the best thing all round is for her to be re-homed with someone who can give her the time and attention that she has in the past been used to.

I would like her to go to someone that at the very least has experience with larger dogs if not in similar breeds.

A bit about her:

Whilst she is 7 years old she rarely acts it and can be rather bouncy and excitable. She is a good jumper so a well secured garden is a must. I do let her off lead (she can be a bit of a puller) and she generally has very good recall however she will chase livestock given half a chance. She is very friendly towards other dogs of all shapes and sizes except around food. She is very affectionate, often thinks she's a lap dog and is great with kids having been raised with my two. She is also speyed.

If anyone can possibly offer her a suitable loving forever home please contact me, we are based in the Greater Manchester area.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Just want to offer my sympathies. I know how much you love your dogs and this must be a heartbreaking decision for you. It sounds like its in her best interest. I hope she finds a wonderful home where you can still get updates on her from time to time. Hugs to you
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this, I met you at a show many years ago now, but still remember you.
A month or so ago one of my owners contacted me to say she would need to rehome her 2 boys (one from Cariad one from Lona) due to divorce, and I did find a home for them where they could be together, in fact I got a few decent enquiries about them, a lot of plonkers as well, but I did
speak to everyone and put the genuine ones onto her and they are now with a new mummy and daddy, and I thought it was going to be well nigh impossible to do it, but I did.
So the homes are out there, be prepared to meet a lot of frogs before her Prince arrives on his white charger to whisk her away. Best of luck and big hugs from us all here, I have been there myself many years ago with my horse and it is the most heartbreaking time.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Sorry you've had to make this decision. In the meantime, I can really recommend Nicole Wilde's book on separation anxiety - About £6.50 for the ebook version on Amazon so not overly expensive, and it's very comprehensive (I found other books to just repeat what I'd found online for free, but Nicole's book goes further than that). Perhaps an Adaptil plugin, a course of Zylkene or some other anxiety-related supplement could be worth a try, even if it's just until you find a new home. I know separation issues can be very tough to deal with and probably even harder when it's destructive behaviour in a rented property but you might possibly be able to ease her stress in the short-term.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I would like to thank you all for your kind words and advice, its not quite the reaction I was expecting to be honest.

Tawneywolf, do you mind if I ask how you went about gaining enquiries? I am wary of where to advertise and especially of the freeads but have thus far had no interest via the limited sources I have used and the NIS (who she is registered with) are not prepared to help unless I sign her over to them to be put in foster care.

I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply but I have been mad busy with work, house hunting and packing.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:15 PM
So why would you not sign her over, they will spey her and find her a good home so taking the pressure off of you
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:18 PM
so sorry it has come to this.......we just never know what the future holds.

i hope you find the great home she deserves.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by sutty View Post
So why would you not sign her over, they will spey her and find her a good home so taking the pressure off of you
Because I personally don't feel that passing her unnecessarily from pillar to post is in her best interest and given the choice I would rather be involved in where my baby girl ends up.

If time runs out then this is an option I have said I am willing to consider as it will be far better than sending her to live in kennels but I am not at that point yet.

As you will see from my first post she is already spayed.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Because I personally don't feel that passing her unnecessarily from pillar to post is in her best interest and given the choice I would rather be involved in where my baby girl ends up.

If time runs out then this is an option I have said I am willing to consider as it will be far better than sending her to live in kennels but I am not at that point yet.

As you will see from my first post she is already spayed.
I can fully understand this. Good luck with your search x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I advertised them on Pets4Homes, and they were free. Their owner was adament that they went together, so there was no one on our list that would take 2 adult males (albeit neutered) so not only did I put them on the adoption bit I also put them in the for sale bit. I advised her to let them go for free because that way it generated a good amount of enquiries and I was able to sift through them and only let the genuine ones with experience of large breeds through to her. There are often people who are ideal but through financial issues cannot afford to buy one, but are able to give the dog a good caring home.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >