Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2006, 10:41 AM

More Stupid Owners In Park

We have just got back from taking the dogs to the park and had a great time apart from one incident.
Since Storm died we noticed that Star was less confident around other dogs, so we have been taking him to the park a lot to boost his confidence round other dogs, the past couple of weeks there has been a vast improvement with Star happy to say hello to other dogs and not hide behind us or bark at other dogs.

But today after an enjoyable walk we were walking past a middle aged couple with there dog (a kind of terrier cross) who was walking towards Star so I asked if it was alright if Star said hello and they said yeah its fine so Star trotted over gave the dog a sniff they without warning this little dog Snapped at Star making his ear bleed but Star let off a load bark and the dog backed away, the owners then said with a nervous laugh he’s not great with bigger dogs. So why say its fine to say hello then if they know he doesn’t like big dogs its not like Star can be mistaken for a small dog.

This is not the first time we have had problems with small dogs in the park, a few months back we had Star and Storm and a Yorkshire terrier came running over snapping at them, the owner was talking to a woman at the time said your dogs just gone for them two dogs to which he said its ok she’s only small and wont do any damage, so I turned and said maybe not but if mine were that way inclined they could do a lot of damage to her and it would be us in trouble and just because she is small it does not mean she can run wild in a public place if he has not control over her.

Well anyway Stars ear is fine and he was fine with the other dogs we met afterwards including small dogs that had responsible owners and it does not seem to have affected him in anyway.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2006, 10:50 AM
sorry to hear about your experience and hope Star has not been set back from this!

unfortunatly society thinks: little dog snaps/ barks = cute and funny

Big dog barks/snaps = dangerous
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry that you and Star had such a horrible experience and hope she will not be put off. I have both big dogs and little one and I completely agree that the tinnies can snap and bark and be thought funny by most people but I am not one and having both big and small would never condone the little ones upsetting any dog large or small.
Every dog should be on a lead and under control whether a chi or a great dane. It is the owners who need training and a grain of common sense not the dogs.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2006, 11:53 AM
some people we've got a ridgeback who we meet sometimes that for some reason dislikes gemma,everytime we see it ,it tries to bite gemmas face off ,and worse the women always says oh its because shes blah blah blah , frankly i dont care why she deos it i just want the women to be in control ,when she knows her dog is like that .sorry to go on but why do people do that
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I hope Star recovers from this, and hasn't set her back

Some people do make me angry
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Hope he's ok, had similar trouble yesterday at the beach with a lil Jack Russel snapping at Jake
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Yep we had that too yesterday was a cross breed came trotting up but you could see he meant business, he was accompanied by 3 children eldest no more than 14, no lead and he went for Diesel my OH intervened and got them apart D has small bite on his ear, no adults in sight!!!!