Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Depends on various things for me.

The street I grew up on was very quiet back then, set well back off the road and was a dead-end so very few cars. Me and all the other kids would play out on the street all day.

Where I live now, cars are double parked on both sides of the road and speed up and down quite fast. It makes me VERY nervous when I'm driving and I can see kids who are playing in the road peaking out between the parked cars. There is no visibility ahead for drivers and kids being kids are not exactly always aware of their surroundings or dangers. So for that reason I'm not a fan of kids playing on our street -- it isn't appropriate for this particular location. I wouldn't call the police or anything like that, but it does worry me a bit.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm surprised how many people say this would annoy them...
I have to admit I dont like children, I have no maternal instincts where they are concerned and for this reason I dont have any but even I wouldnt go out and threaten to call the police.

They werent harming anything, our side lawn is open plan and the complaining neighbours are completely private with very tall conifers surrounding their property, and no cars were in the vicinity, there was nothing the kids could harm.

And yes, 'kerby' is throwing the ball against the opposite kerb so it bounces back to you, they werent playing football. The gardens round here are only very small and the neighbouring kids couldnt come in because of the dogs so my nephews play out on the street when it's nice.

It's strange how nobody else complains, just these particular neighbours.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't think it is strange at all! Most people do not like to complain about anything at least not to those causing the problem!

You only have to read the threads on here where people refuse to tackle those that bother them.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
The ONLY thing I would like about living in a town would be being able to watch the kids playing.The miserable neighbours is this thread maybe don't have/never had children themselves so they've convinced themselves they hate them.Or maybe they've never liked children even if they did have their own.
Or maybe they're just miserable people.
I hope the kids didn't give them any cheek.
I'd be inclined to instruct them to go right ahead and call the police.Let the authorities tell them how they don't like their time being wasted.That might take the wind out of their sails.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Mmmmmm....tricky one but as I understand it, I have two children who play out with other kids in the village and the one thing I always say to them is 'respect other people's homes and privacy. Not everyone wants to hear or see kids even if they are enjoying themselves with a ball. If a ball is kicked into someones garden, apologise profusely when you knock on the door to ask for it back. The other thing I always tell them is that there are some miserable ******s out there who, however apologetic and mindful of their manners, will still give them a rollocking.......thats life!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/residents_...police_1_78180

Not necessarily
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:27 PM
it winds me up when kids play in the street when the have gardens and parks. Roads are not the place for them, if i reverse off my drive and knock one of em over then its my fault
ATD x
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
We have kids playing at the side or in front of ours constantly during the summer, unless they are trying to pick on Davie (which happens from time to time) it doesn't bother me.

They play football on the wee green at the side of ours, and again, unless the football is permanently coming into the garden it doesn't put me up nor down.

I remember playing kerby when I was a kid too, but round here, the cars go far too fast for kids to be able to play that, so I tell mine or any others to play wallies which is the same idea, just you bounce the football off a wall and try to catch it with your feet.

It was funny today for example, Davie and his wee pal Cole were racing each other up and down the path and Jack was trying to race em too when they went by the garden. We had kids racing by on the bikes too which was nice to see cause it's SUMMER! Okay, it was a bit odd cause one of them was one of the kids I teach..

They should be out and about when the weather is good, kids are being driven inside by the PC rules of 'don't play football, don't run, don't shout at each other, don't climb trees, don't play games etc that just MAY bother someone somewhere. Since the police aren't allowed to discipline kids just in case they get sued there's no stopping some of the brats who really are causing a problem. Then everyone is wondering why there's an obesity problem...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
'don't play football, don't run, don't climb trees, don't play games etc

Not sure I follow this, what rules are these and if they exist why are they ignoring them doig it in the road?

I think children should run and play all they like that is what playgrounds and parks are for.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I think children should run and play all they like that is what playgrounds and parks are for
Exactly and this is what my O/H says too,we have a garage site just to the rear of our house and the amount of kids that go around to play is ridiculous,there are signs up stating they shouldn't be playing around there,ignored by kids and there parents
Having footballs kicked off the metal garage doors in the summer months from 8am till 11/12pm in the summer isn't funny,we did shout at some kids who would climb on the garage roofs,one thought it was highly entaining to moon at us

Can't wait for the day they demolish them and build there
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >