Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Mange !!

HI there,
I feel a bit like an over protective mother, but I just wanted to ask something....

I was out in the park this afternoon, and a young Border Collie came over to play with Kayleigh - the owner was a way off, they chased about for a bit and had a play. Then the owner came over and called his dog, I said she was lovely - if rather thin and asked if she was a rescue ?

He then said, yes we have had her a few weeks - she has mange but we are treating it - then walked off with her.

I am just rather concerned now about kayleigh - should I bath her as a precaution or do I not have anything to worry about as they were not playing together for long?

Thanks in advance.....
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 04:37 PM
By the way, the man did not say what type of mange it was .... I am aware of the two type, sarcoptic and demodemal(spelling ??) however, I am just concerned about how long a dog would need to be in contact with another, IF it was the nasty variety ? cheers again
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 04:39 PM
How irresponsible was this guy? I would call your vet for advice, maybe? Hopefully if it's being treated to mites will have gone and it's just the irritation remaining. Good luck.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I'd give her a bath to be on the safe side, probably in some Hibiscrub, it won't hurt herm and yourself too, coz I think it's HIGHLY contageous isn't it???? Somebody will know!!
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Sarcoptic Mange (is highly contagious) is worse than demodex as dogs with sarcoptic mange should be kept isolated from other dogs and if a dog comes into contact with the infected dog it should be seen by a vet and treated so hopefully the dog with mange will probably just have demodex and be having regular baths and antibiotics. Hope this helps
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:01 PM
The sarcoptic is very contagious the Demodetic is not at all. Would not worry too much the first is easy to deal with the second is not but it is not contagious either.

Pardon spelling not time to look it up

Edit to say most sarcoptic is caught from fox and will cause you to itch as well so not too many cuddles for a while till you are sure she is clear.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:11 PM
haha we posted at the same time Pita.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Snap
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Bathing yourself and your dog in neem oil 2 or 3 times will kill any sarcoptic mites.

Neem oil should be readily available in health stores, or if not from here:

http://www.neemgenie.co.uk
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 10:45 PM
HI there,

Thank you for all your posts. I shall keep a close eye on Kayleigh and also try to pick up some neem oil from the health shop tommorrow - I had some spray somewhere once - isn't neem tree oil also supposed to be good for warding off midges ? we bought some for camping - but can't find it anywhere..... thanks again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >