Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 05:22 PM

does anyone know

hello all,

when i was up at school today picking up my children a friend of mine asked me a question,

she owns a springer, her question was did i know (with my vast knowledge of dogs!!???? NOT!) why her dogs tail stays down between his legs for a couple of days after hes been on a longer than average walk??????????

i sugessted that maybe it was because of mucsles, his tail is streched out when he runs on a walk.

truth is i haven't got a clue - does anyone know???
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Well now, with my 35 years experience I don't know either. I suspect there isn't an answer.....maybe he's just tired.

Dawn R.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 07:50 PM
hi nursey,

yeah its an odd question - i haven't a clue to be honest, i know i said about it maybe being mucsles but i couldn't tell you what muscles a dogs got where!!
babsc71
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2006, 07:59 PM
A-ha! This happened to my older springer and I took her to the vet one time. She does what I call "windmill" her tail when out on a walk, where her tail literally goes around 360 degrees. The time I took her to the vet was when we'd been on hols and she had been running, and running, and running and, oh, swimming in the sea. The vet diagnosed "labrador tail", which is when, in water, the dog used her tail as a rudder and pulls her muscles. I suspect that it a similar thing when she's excited on a run. She has also suffered from stiff hips as she has got older so I was advised to give her glucosalamine tablets which have done the trick as she has had no obvious aches or pains since.
The side effect of spaniel owning is whip like burns on your legs so always stand well clear of the tail, especially if the spaniel has seen the food or lead.......Good luck (but I wouldn't be without them) xx
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:02 PM
hi babsc71,

so i was kind of right then - i'm impressed now!!

thanks for that, i'll pass it on to my friend when i see her tomorrow.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Do the walks involve swimming? There is a condition called cold water tail (Google it)_ My Lab has had it a few times.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Do the walks involve swimming? There is a condition called cold water tail (Google it)_ My Lab has had it a few times.
no, just lots of running!