Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Tracking Season

Hi, as the mornings are often frosty this time of year and the dew lasts longer its a great time for laying and running tracks.
When your training a young dog or you have not done a lot of tracklaying to be able to see your track is helpful.
Its also good for our dogs as the days dont get to hot.
So take advantage of the season and if your dog does not already track start today.
Theres lots of info about tracking training on the net,but to start you just need to have someone holding your dog while you shuffle away in a straight line dropping food.
Use a pole to mark the start and keep the wind at your back .
10/20 yards in length to start and only move forward when the dog is on the track.
Just go and have some fun with your dog.

Dave
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks Dave i will try this today as i am off to the forest. Any more info/sources you recommend?
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi, Glen Johnsons book the tracking dog has a very detailed method for getting started.
Ive just returned home from taking a group of trialists tracking on moor/common and woodland.
All young or inexperienced dogs and they had a ball.

Dave.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by dave olley View Post
Hi, Glen Johnsons book the tracking dog has a very detailed method for getting started.
Ive just returned home from taking a group of trialists tracking on moor/common and woodland.
All young or inexperienced dogs and they had a ball.

Dave.
Ok just found it on a non tax paying on line book store, will order a copy. cheers
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Dave, Update. As I am usually on my own in the forest so no one to hold him, I had to get Kodi to sit/stay in a little ground dip, out of sight, while I used a couple of my old socks (poor dog). I laid one at the start with a couple of treats inside and then laid a trail of treats every 4 meters or so, with the other sock at the end of the trail, about 30 meters away. Kodi followed it perfectly and when he found the sock at the end received lots of praise. He has a really good nose and enjoyed the challenge. Thanks for getting us started.
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi, good start and you both enjoyed it.
Next step for me would be extend the track length and vary the distance between food drops.
Any articles socks etc place away from the start so the dog gets extra rewards for tracking to them,remember to put an article also to finish the track.
This means your dog wil be working a little harder so we must keep up desire, maybe you could tie him to a tree and call out a few times during the laying of track.
Having said this we want drive and not mania so dont go ott . Hope this is of use to you let me know how you get on and when your up around 100yards I will talk you through corners, diagonals, time and terrain

Dave
Carol10
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Robbie and I certainly had some fun that day Dave. I was amazed at the track he did. Thanks again.
Carol and Robbie
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi, Carol glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the forum.

Dave.