Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks all

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am sure your vet has given you the best advice for Can's particular problem, you know Cain, always likes to make a drama out of a crisis!
Tell me about it he really is such a drama queen! He is master at making life more difficult for himself. I haven't even bothered to rebandage it, Mum's home with him until 1pm, then the dog walker is in, then he's only alone for a bit until I'm home and he'll rip it off anyway. But tonight, he's getting coned
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am sure your vet has given you the best advice for Can's particular problem, you know Cain, always likes to make a drama out of a crisis!
haha, thats what I was thinking I don't think youve too much to worry about Amanda. Breaking the cycle is the hardest part with things like this IME anyway.

I gave up on bandages a long time ago! Better to let the skin breathe and let the infection out, because the bandage seems to just make them focus on it more tbh. The Fuciderm does work wonders but a side effect is that it can cause irreparable (sp?) damage to the skin so usually thats left for the last resort or a bad case (don't think Cains is that bad in all honesty)

At least now the vet has got back to you, you know its just a hot spot with a bit of secondary infection, nothing too serious (even though they get really annoying.. )

If it pops up again in future and you catch it early, I found bathing with hibiscrub helped prevent too many vet bills too!

Hope it clears up soon.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, the vet gave me some hibiscrub too, in her words "it didn't seem like a bad idea, with Cain in the house!" so she's fully aware of what a disaster area he is! I think if I'd been home when this started then I would have got on top of it before it got too bad, I will definately be on top of it at the first sign in future. Like you said, it's breaking the cycle, if he just leaves it alone for a few days then I'm sure it'll stop itching and be fine. Silly puppy
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Dermacton was recommended on several websites and they've got 15% off on the Aromesse website today if you're interested - http://www.aromesse.com/skin-problem...-products.html
Discount code "spice15" at the checkout
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Oooooh thank you I won't mix it with the steroid spray but if that doesn't work, I'll give it a go
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 06:35 PM
CONE OF SHAME!

Sulking

Pity me
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Aww Bless - he does look woebegone in his cone. xx
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 10:26 PM
oh my just look at that face....

poor Cain
xx
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Poor Cain! Hope he's feeling better soon
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Oh Cain! How is the cone working? Casper's pulled the bandage off a couple of times but the Dermacton arrived yesterday so I applied it for the first time yesterday evening and I'm very impressed with how his leg looked this morning! Tons better, a lot less irritated and he hadn't pulled the bandage off overnight so hopefully it relieved the itching too. At this rate it'll only take another day or two to heal up completely I think! He even let me bandage it up without a fuss this morning so he must be feeling a lot more comfortable now, I think I'll leave the bandage off this evening when I'm about to keep half an eye on him as hopefully he won't keep licking at it. I think Dermacton is definately going to be a staple in my doggy first aid kit now.
The only downside is the stink, I've washed my hands about 4 times this morning and can still smell it
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >