Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Storage mites

My gang has been on 100% raw for a couple of months, then after a a mix up with anew raw food supplier I has to give them dry food for a couple of days. I fed them Acana, soaked. Rio has had itchy sore skin, especially on her belly sine she was a year old and I put it down to allergies. She'd been fed a combination of raw food and Burns then I switched her to totally raw food and her skin improved. It went bad again when she had biscuits for training so I thought the problem may be cereals. Last week my raw supplier didn't turn up with my order so I fed them Acana for a couple of days and Rio's skin is red raw and itching again. It can't be cereals, could it be mites? What do you think?
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Could well be Willow along with many other things is allergic to storage mites and his skin does get red and itchy
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2011, 03:39 PM
could possibly be! my cocker has been having bouts of it too and i had never heard of storage mites till a friends dog was diagnosed with this. I just presumed it was ezema he had that was causing him to itch and have the patches of sore skin....hes a blue roan too so not quite so easy to see his skin.

My dog was on JWB which i didnt store in an airtight container.....only folded the top of the bag down and it was also sitting in my humid tumble drier cupboard so pretty much the best enviroment for those mites to multiply.

This is only his 3rd day on his new food (decided to change brands too) and its also ziplocked to keep freshness and so far so good.....his skin that was pretty inflammed has defo calmed down alot.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
My gang has been on 100% raw for a couple of months, then after a a mix up with anew raw food supplier I has to give them dry food for a couple of days. I fed them Acana, soaked. Rio has had itchy sore skin, especially on her belly sine she was a year old and I put it down to allergies. She'd been fed a combination of raw food and Burns then I switched her to totally raw food and her skin improved. It went bad again when she had biscuits for training so I thought the problem may be cereals. Last week my raw supplier didn't turn up with my order so I fed them Acana for a couple of days and Rio's skin is red raw and itching again. It can't be cereals, could it be mites? What do you think?
why do you say it cannot be the cereals? You have said that when you switched Rio to totally raw her skin improved, you gave her some more Acana and her skin is red raw and itching again ... I think you have your answer!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
why do you say it cannot be the cereals? You have said that when you switched Rio to totally raw her skin improved, you gave her some more Acana and her skin is red raw and itching again ... I think you have your answer!
quick glance, but it says 0% grains on the Acana Dog food.

To rule out allergy as opposed to storage mites, you'd need to do a like for like comparison of the foods given on the raw diet and the ingredients in Acana.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Acana is grain free. It contains meat, fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables. I have no problem feeding raw all the time when I'm at home but when we go away or to a show (often overnight) she still needs to eat and I find wet foods ok but messy in the car.

as she's allergic to flea bites and it seems that dustmites may be an issue, I was wondering if they could be linked with storage mite allergy.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
quick glance, but it says 0% grains on the Acana Dog food.

To rule out allergy as opposed to storage mites, you'd need to do a like for like comparison of the foods given on the raw diet and the ingredients in Acana.
Hmmm, I think I may have to start an exclusion diet. How long would you feed each meat for before introducing a new one?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Hmmm, I think I may have to start an exclusion diet. How long would you feed each meat for before introducing a new one?
Some say a month, but, to be honest, I've usually found with my own dogs that if they are allergic to something it shows up pretty quickly so if I were to do an exclusion diet it would be a week rather than a month
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Some say a month, but, to be honest, I've usually found with my own dogs that if they are allergic to something it shows up pretty quickly so if I were to do an exclusion diet it would be a week rather than a month
thanks. Will start on chicken I reckon.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2011, 10:33 PM
When Jake suffered from his allergies, I wondered if it was the cereals or storage mites. He was put on a hypoallergenic dry dog food and he completely cleared up, so we went with it being cereals. Now, if he gets too many biscuits then he will started with sore skin again... I don't give him any biscuits bar his hypoallergenic JWB and wainwrights ones So, for him it must be the cereals.

When he had his elimination diet, I gave him a week on each meat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >