Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Marriage - How young is too young?

Opions please!

A lot of my friends are getting engaged at the moment, and just found out, one is getting married next month!! She's 20 just now, 21 next month. I can't help but think that its a bit too young.

I've been with OH for almost 4 years, and I can't see us getting married any time soon, let alone engaged!

I'm not saying its wrong, each to their own at the end of the day, but I am surprised by it, especially as a lot of my friends getting engaged haven't been together all that long really!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Hard too say really I was 18 and Gorden was 20 when we got married 33 years ago.

I always feel it doesn't matter what age you get married if it is meant too work it will if it isn't it won't.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
I personally couldn't see myself marrying anyone at that age. At that point in life you are probably all over the place...bearly out of your teens, possibly not quite sure what you want out of life yet, still quite 'young' in terms of life experience, etc. Marriage just seems very formal and settled when you are the age when you want a bit of spontaneity.

Of course, that doesn't mean to say it can't work out for some people. It just wouldn't be for me. After all, if you are truly in it for the long term with someone, marriage can wait until life is a bit more settled. Why the rush?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
My ex husband and I got together in 1990 (4th March) when I was 16 and he was 20. We stayed together for 13 years, 4 months and 22 days when we got married (26th July 2003). I was 29, he was 33 and then the next 13 months were fine.

Things went pear shaped when Oscar was born. No excuse but I think as already stated, sometimes it's meant to be. Sometimes not.

My parents were married when my Mom was 21 and my Dad was 25.

So it just depends on teh people involved in the relationship and how much work they put in to make it work.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I met my oh at 17 bought a flat together at 18 1/2

married at 21

still together at 42

depends on the person I think some are more mature at 21 than others........

others want different things.......

all down to choice....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2010, 05:32 PM
My sister got married at 18 and they're still together after 41 years, but I wouldn't want my kids to marry at such a young age.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I met my OH before I went to Uni (I was 18 ), got engaged 3 weeks after meeting, moved in with each other within the year.

We got married after 4 years of being together (I was 22, he was 23). We'd both completed our degrees, bought a house etc. before we actual tied the knot.

We've been together for 12 years and married for 8 of those.

I don't feel I missed out on anything my unmarried friends have done. I've been on girly holidays, had my share of boyfriends etc, lived away from home. I've had the drunken nights out, spontaneous weekends away. I've worked in all sorts of jobs, including one where I worked away quite a lot.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Everyone is different I suppose! I got married at 20, had 3 kids by the time I was 25 & got divorced at 32!
My twenties were just a blur of prams & nappies!
But then I like cake so re married at 34 & I'm keeping this one, we've been together 10 years
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:04 PM
At least if you`re married you`ve got legal status. I can`t help feeling that waiting till you`ve got a couple of kids is leaving it a bit late. After all, it`s a legal minefield. I know so many couples who have split up after living together and the woman finds out she can take nothing of the `joint` property because `common law` marriages don`t exist in law.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Ooh, I should point out that we've got no kids, but I've got 2 dogs, about about 30 or so hens, ducks and turkeys instead!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >