Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marshall
New Member!
Male 

30-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Arthritis in lurchers

Hi, we have two lurchers Ripley and Marshall, Marshall we've had from a pup and Ripley is a rescue lurcher, we've had them both at the vets this morning and although they're both in good order the vet says Ripley may end up with arthritis in his front legs, is there any treatment we could start now that could alleviate the problem in the future, I was thinking of fish oils supplements in his food but i'm not too sure and I forgot to ask the vet this morning.....any ideas?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2014, 01:33 PM
I give my dog Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM, plus Sea Mussel extract - not because she has arthritis but as a preventative against it.

She also has Fish body oil for the Omega 3, and Vitamin E [which the body needs to utilise the FBO].
marshall
New Member!
Male 

30-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I give my dog Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM, plus Sea Mussel extract - not because she has arthritis but as a preventative against it.

She also has Fish body oil for the Omega 3, and Vitamin E [which the body needs to utilise the FBO].
Many thanks Malka, it is not curtain that he will suffer from arthritis but if we can do what ever we can now to make it easier if he does suffer from it in the future the better.....I will research the treatment you suggest....are the items readily available if so where from?....

thanks again
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Sorry,can't offer advice,just think its great you're researching your options ahead of time.Hopefully it won't come to that,wishing Ripley all the very best
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

30-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Mel, I am not in the UK and although I could get those products from a Health Food store in Tel Aviv [telephoning them to order/buy/pay etc] I actually buy everything online from the US. Vitamins and supplements for both Pereg and myself - all hers are the same as mine, ie human and not canine specific, with the exception of one supplement which is canine specific.

They are not only the same products/brands as I used to get here, but a fraction of the price, plus the overseas postage cost is only $4 - that is per order not per item, for orders under 4lb in weight and under $80 in total, whereas it used to cost me the equivalent of $6 postage from T/A and that was about four years ago.

Have a look at http://www.iherb.com/ - if you want specific details of the products I use for Pereg let me know on this thread and I will give you links to them all. Plus I can give you a code for up to $10 off your first order [for which I will "earn" all of 3 cents! ]

I am sure you can buy them all in the UK but as I buy other things from iHerb, some of which I cannot get here, that fact, plus their very low prices, are the reasons why I have been buying whatever I need since a friend in England told me about them. I know the products, I know the makes/brands, and with an epileptic dog for whom I have to be very careful about what she has, I know that the products I buy for her are suitable.
marshall
New Member!
Male 

30-08-2014, 04:15 PM
thank you so much Lacey10 and Malka, it's heart warming knowing that they're other dog lovers out there....poor Ripley was owned by travellers and was abused and worked but the young man is so, so trusting and is so gentle, Malka I will research and source the treatments as appropriate....Thanks again guys!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

30-08-2014, 04:28 PM
As it says at the top of the page - DOGSEY - The Site For Dog Lovers - and none of us would be here if we did not love dogs!
marshall
New Member!
Male 

30-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
As it says at the top of the page - DOGSEY - The Site For Dog Lovers - and none of us would be here if we did not love dogs!
thanks again Malka....I see from your signature that you have lost a dog.....my heart goes out to you my friend.....we've lost two dogs in the past and it's heart breaking....
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

30-08-2014, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
thanks again Malka....I see from your signature that you have lost a dog.....my heart goes out to you my friend.....we've lost two dogs in the past and it's heart breaking....
More than one Mel - many more. But the others were years ago when I was still in England. Little One was the first dog I had here.

Sleep sweetly Little One - 21/1/2010
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Did the vet not recommend Metacam? I am suprised as it worked wonders on our dog. Have a word with your vet about the product ,arthritis won't go away but you can ease the problem so the dog doesn't feel the pain so much.

Quote"

Metacam for Dogs oral suspension for dogs contains 1.5 mg meloxicam and 1.5 mg sodium benzoate per ml.

Metacam for dog is a pleasantly flavoured liquid and can be added to food where most dogs take it quite happily. A special syringe is provided to help measure out the correct dose.

Metacam for dogs is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or 'NSAID' drug and is prescribed to reduce pain and inflammation, most commonly to treat arthritis, injuries or painful tumours.

Metacam for dogs is a very safe drug as long it is used with care in dogs for the alleviation of inflammation and pain in both acute and chronic musculo-skeletal disorders.

Metacam oral suspension is available in 32ml, 100ml & 180ml bottles," unquote
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >