Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
haraS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2011, 01:31 AM

Dino diagnosed with diabetes

I have to go back to the vets tomorrow for results of the blood test re. his kidneys. I am needle phobic, how am I going to be able to inject him daily, what if I feel faint when the vets are trying to show me what to do. I am so worried that I won't be able to do this.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 07:03 AM
That's quite a dilemma for you.

I guess just keep in the forefront of your mind what would happen if you don't get the meds into him.....

Hopefully, that'll give you the strength

Hugs hon xx
haraS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Hi
Thanks for your encouragement, I went to the vets today (2nd day) and managed to inject Dino with the insulin, the nurse was fantastic, patient, encouraging, friendly - hopefully tomorrow will go well too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi Sarah it may help you to get a large orange and to practise injecting it until you feel comfortable with doing it.
I am sure you will be just fine
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 09:52 AM
You have to focus on the fact it's for Dino. keep that in mind and I'm sure you will overcome you fear.
Good Luck
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by haraS View Post
Hi
Thanks for your encouragement, I went to the vets today (2nd day) and managed to inject Dino with the insulin, the nurse was fantastic, patient, encouraging, friendly - hopefully tomorrow will go well too.
That's just brilliant - you will be fine
haraS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Dear All
Just to update you, I have been injecting Dino at home with no problems, his sugar was still high when he was checked so the vets have upped his dose of insulin. He is due back on Wednesday to see how he is doing. Unfortunately he is losing his sight. He is bumping into things, getting disorientated and uable to see steps, fences or slopes of grass at the park, he no longer notices dogs walking along when he is in the car etc. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has a dog with poor vision like this and how they cope etc? It seems Dino's health had deteriorated suddenly since the death of his mum Raga in August 2010.
Thank you for your continued support.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi my second english setter was diabetic, was difficult to stabalize, he also went blind, but he new our hour so well it didn't bother him until the end, when I used to have to take him out of the front door and down the hill into the back door. House id spilt level. I cope on walks by carring a small squeeky toy, a hedghog, so he could har it. We had some laughs and somw panics like when he fell in the river. Had him on a fleky lead. I have so many wonderful memories of my Tarva, very special boy. You will manage because it is for Dino . Gayle
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I think you have done great with the injections considering you are needle phobic. Really sorry to hear Dino seems to be losing his sight. I have never had a blind dog so can't offer any advice but just hope that his diabetes stablises and he is able to adapt to his vision problem. xx
haraS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi Everyone
I think Dino is beginning to adjust and so I am I ie I have realised if I go up the stairs ahead of Dino he knows they are steps. I do think he is being very brave. Vets tonight - will let you know how he is getting on.
Thanks for all your messages.