Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Storing dry food

Does any one know how long Arden Grange would keep for in hot weather, well Lake District weather?
We're off for three weeks in the caravan and it would be easiest to take a 15kg bag with us and keep it in the back of the car.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Does any one know how long Arden Grange would keep for in hot weather, well Lake District weather?
We're off for three weeks in the caravan and it would be easiest to take a 15kg bag with us and keep it in the back of the car.
Well I buy a 15 kg and it last me for a month and it is fine. I keep it in a plastic bin with a clamp down lid.
hopkinss12
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2010, 02:13 PM
We also use a large plastic tub at home and a slightly smaller one for the caravan. It has a waterproof (and labrador proof) lid, so the kibble stays dry, which means it should in theory last almost indefinitely. We normally keep it in the awning so that it's handy. The problem with the plastic bags the food comes in is you can't guarantee that it will stay waterproof. Mice can also get in it.
The "Really Useful Box" company do a whole range of sizes and colours and they are available at places like Staples.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi Dales mum once food is opened and exposed to the air it begins to deteriorate particularly in hot weather.

I would split the food into two airtight containers, this way when you go to remove food every day only half will be exposed to the air. I would also try to find a cool spot in which to place the bins.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Pets at Home do a fantastic airtight dog food bin, it's around £20, it has wheels on the back and holds a whole bag of food, it's great!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I just bought a regular black bin with clamp on the side of the lid £8 any DIY store and a smaller one for in the house £5 £stretcher.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try splitting it in two, but if it gets hot, cool places can be hard to find.
If the worst comes to the worst they'll just have to eat something we can buy locally JWB isn't so hard to find.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Most kibble type foods should keep in hot weather. They have already gone through an process where they are exposed to massive temperatures so a bit more heat shouldnt effect the quality.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2010, 03:22 PM
The airtight containers would be a good idea. The 16 KG bags of Pro Plan we buy last about a month with 2 Labs. We transfer it to an air tight bin. It is important to keep oxygen and moisture away from kibble, more so premium brands that expose dogs to less additives. Part of choosing to stay away from additives means taking more care with storing kibble.

If space is a problem, it would be a little extra expense, but you could pick up a few smaller bags that you would use up quickly after opening.