Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Footpath question

I have lived near to a yellow signed footpath now for nearly 5 years, all this time there as been horses in said field footpath runs through. I personally have had no trouble with the horses though haven't used the path for a while as there's a better path/walk going oppersite way. About two three months ago I heard a chiuaha(spelt very wrong lol) was trampled by the horses,just after a sign went up saying horses can kick keep to footpath and dogs on lead. Now for my question today I walked by the stole and there's a new sign saying keep out this is private property and not a footpath would they be able to do this or have they put sign up to hopefully stop people going through, im just curious as I said earlier I don't use the path
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Sorry silly phone stile not stole
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Contact your County Council. It`s almost certain this sign is illegal.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Find out if it's a public right of way (something like an OS map of the area might help)
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=207
Other don'ts for landowners

You cannot grow crops on a public right of way, however grass can be grown for hay and silage.
Dairy bulls over 10 months are not allowed to cross over a field with a right of way.
You cannot put up stiles or gates without the permission of your local authority.
You cannot put up misleading signs to prevent people from using a public right of way.
You are not allowed to harrass, intimidate (e.g. placing a fierce dog on public right of way) or prevent members of the public from using a public right of way.
It is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 to put up barbed wires, electric fences or exposed barb wire that prevents or obstructs a public right of way.
I think there are laws about dangerous livestock kept in land with public footpaths too, generally this relates to certain kinds of cattle (e.g. dairy cows as mentioned above) but if the horses have a history of being intimidating they may be falling foul of this.
The Ramblers Association website has a look of info too, unfortunately it's blocked on my work internet but if you want to browse the address is http://www.ramblers.org.uk
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Or for a quick look try Street map. (not definitive).