Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I believe they offer MUCH more follow up help than we see Het.
fair enough...but that should have been shown. To get a viewer involved in a dog and its story, particularly in a story like Wilsons, and then to only speed over the outcome was not good. I like this program because it stresses time and again that its the owners that need the training and not just the dogs, but this case left me very angry and unhappy. I know they have a limited amount of time to fit in three dogs and their stories, but with an issue like this, i just felt it wasn't dealt with very well.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Remember this is television for the every day person. They can't go into every little thing that more experienced dog owners would expect.
Would it be a good idea for someone to contact the makers and enquire about this dog rather than assuming what or wasn't done for it and the owners. These programmes shouldn't be taken to seriously because you never see the whole picture just a snippet.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
Can I ask did they mention how the dog behaved round the kids,
did it bully them also? as said I did miss the start of the program and I think this is where they give you the dogs background,
I think the owner said right at the begining of the programme that "SHE was frightened of the dog around the children" didn't say it had done anything to them, but with the way it was behaving i hope she had the sense previously not to leave the dog in the same room with them.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

17-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Remember this is television for the every day person. They can't go into every little thing that more experienced dog owners would expect.
Would it be a good idea for someone to contact the makers and enquire about this dog rather than assuming what or wasn't done for it and the owners. These programmes shouldn't be taken to seriously because you never see the whole picture just a snippet.
Sorry but it was pretty damn serious for this dog! Surely these programmes have some sort of responsibility to educate - if they are they just for entertainment Im not sure what is entertaining about a dog being pts.

On such a serious subject as an aggressive dog that was destroyed they either should of covered it completely, and all that had been done or could of been done or not shown it at all.

As you say its for everyday people - this was not an everyday problem so why show it at all apart from the shock factor.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
I think this programme is getting worse. You hardly see any of the training these days.. just recaps of the bad things the dog used to do. They have the dog jump over a few hurdles and hey presto they never have any bother with it again.
this is a very good point,,,,what training did the dog really recieve? ok a check chain,,,and shown how to put it on correctly,,,,,,,,then to sit and wait qhilst she came in and out of the room,,,,or did I miss more? on the basis of this,,,the dog was pts,,,,im really hopeing that I missed something but I fear not
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I used to like Dog Bortsal, but I think it's getting worse.
They used to use lots of good training methods, but every single episode they now seem to use a rattle bottle and/or a spray collar.
They don't seem to use them as a 'last' resort either, they shove them on at the start of the training.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Why do people think chopping testicles off a dog is the be all and end all? Its widely known that a dog showing aggressive and/or nervous tendancies (which I also saw in that dog) that neutering can cause serious problems, often causing worse problems than originally presented with.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

17-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Why do people think chopping testicles off a dog is the be all and end all? Its widely known that a dog showing aggressive and/or nervous tendancies (which I also saw in that dog) that neutering can cause serious problems, often causing worse problems than originally presented with.
Dawn to be fair I dont think anyone has said chopping testicles off is the be all and end all but it would of been another option to try - along with other medical tests none of which were covered. Maybe an explanation of why it might not work could of helped. As I said this was a very serious situation and should of either been covered in depth or not shown merely for the controversy factor.

PS you forgot the
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Hear hear Dawn.:smt041

My vets are obsessed with castration and are always recomending it to owners.I agree that an already nervous dog needs testosterone to give them courage.

I never saw last nights DB,but i will watch it tommorrow so i wont comment any further until then.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post

Also just out of interest.....if anybody had been asked to take on this dog so that it wasn't pts would you? What would you have done with it?

Just putting the cat among the pigeons so to speak
I for one wouldn't have and i know many people that deal with large breed rescue dogs and i don't think they would have as well .... but that is just my opinion.
Been there, done that - my ex biters just needed understanding and gentle handling, and to not be put in situations they could`nt / can`t handle :smt102
Glad I did`nt watch the episode, from the sounds of it I`d have put the screen through...
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »