View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Anyone know about contraceptives for bitches?

I've been told that there is a contraceptive injection available for bitches that works in pretty much the same was as the women's Depo Provera injection. I don't know anything about it myself and wondered if any of you had used it with their bitches or knew anything at all about it?
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Been talking to a breeder friend of mine about this subject and also looking it up on the internet, not because it is even entering my mind to give my bitch the 'contreptive' but purely out of interest.
In my opinion the best way to prevent unwanted pregnencys in un-spayed bitches (as mine is) is to keep her away from male dogs in heat, simple as.

It is possible to prevent the female from going into heat through the use of hormonal contraceptives that temporarily suppress the cycle. The contraceptive can be administered either orally or through an injection. In either case, these products must be administered during a period of sexual quiescence, or anoestrus, which means two months before the estimated onset of the heat to be suppressed.

Contraception does have side effects. Among others, it may increase the risk of uterine infections and infected wombs.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Even more worringly I have just seen this quote of a vetinarian on a website:

"weight gain of 20 lbs, a 3 month long heat (still hasn't ended), maybea cause of her weakened immune system, moodyness, back pain, extreme fatigue."

Poor dog
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Have a read of this thread, it's been discussed just recently http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=57380
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the link crazycockers, didn't see that thread.