Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 10:15 AM

TJ's Manhood

Just been to the vets for TJ's second jab, all was fine, except vet mentioned that one of his testicles hasnt dropped yet, and if it hasnt by 12 weeks they would need to castrate him about 6 months old??
Because there is a higher risk of testicular tumours in the testicle that hasnt dropped?

Would appreciate any advice on this matter, i thought the testicles could drop anytime from now until he is 12 months?

thank you
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2005, 10:26 AM
If they are going to descend they will usually do so by 6 months. It is certainly not unknown for it to be months later but, in my understanding, the longer the testicle is retained in the body cavity the more chance of it becoming diseased and the diease spreading. If you are intending to have your dog castrated anyway then I would go with your vet's advice. It will be a longer, more invasive, operation, but one that most vets would have a great deal of experience in performing.

Don't worry about things that haven't happened. The missing article will probably be found in it's correct location one morning when you are not looking for it
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

31-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Jake had a missing testicle too. It's turned up now though. (Probably made an appearance around about 6mnths, thinking about it.)
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Thank you SB and Rich, we werent intending on breeding him, unless he turns out to be an amazing agility/OB dog
Ill keep an eye on him and keep feeling
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Some breeds do and can take longer , so i would'nt panic just yet.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Gems Buster had that and we were told the exact same thing. By the following week it had fully dropped. I wouldn't panic too much just yet
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Erm dont keep feeling to often Gems, it may encourage TJ to retract them
Like others have said I wouldnt worry too much either although you could ask Marie if her lines can take time in that department

Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Don't worry Gems, Blackie hadn't any and our vet told us they could come up to 12 months time, but our vet waited until he was at least two years old before he opereated on him. He was no bother.

Ian
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 04:06 PM
gems dont worry yourself over this my two boys noctuales dropped at different times i think they were in between 6mths old
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover
gems dont worry yourself over this my two boys noctuales dropped at different times i think they were in between 6mths old
Noctuales? Never heard them called that before!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >