Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Dog Beds

I've skirted around this before but I'm going there again. I cannot find a dog bed suitable for Woody, anywhere!!

Does the following even exist I wonder:
  1. Needs to be warm but not too hot for him - so cooling effect as well.
  2. Needs to be thick enough to protect him from a hard floor, but not too big and bulky.
  3. Needs to be soft touch (fleece/), rather than nylon/polyester as I think that will feel nicer to him.
  4. Needs to be a decent design, preferably plain.
  5. Needs to be no more than £35 as I refuse to spend more than that!

Links, advice, tips, pictures all welcome!! ;o)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:21 PM
How about a single duvet, in a cheap cover,doubled over, with a piece of vet bed over the top?
Our vet thinks duvets are the best bedding for dogs joints..the vet bed helps to absorb any moisture/dirt and has a nice feel to it.
I refuse to buy dog beds when you can pick up duvets and covers so cheaply these days...and vet bed lasts and lasts and lasts....oh and lasts...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
How about a single duvet, in a cheap cover,doubled over, with a piece of vet bed over the top?
Our vet thinks duvets are the best bedding for dogs joints..the vet bed helps to absorb any moisture/dirt and has a nice feel to it.
I refuse to buy dog beds when you can pick up duvets and covers so cheaply these days...and vet bed lasts and lasts and lasts....oh and lasts...
Do I sounds really lame if I say I still want it to look nice as it's to go in our living room?

We don't have a kitchen/utility room so he sleeps in the living room and I don't want my nicest room to start looking like a boot room.

Also, am wondering if he'll even use it Ramble as he seems to get so hot and bothered sometimes. He often chooses the floor with nothing on it over a fleece blanket we're currently using or the sofa. I just worry about him sleeping on a hard floor all the time.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
We bought a massive cushion from PAH but it does take up rather a lot of room. Monty loves it though:

It has a removal cover as well so easy to keep clean.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
How much was it Esme? It is massive but I'm not kidding, Woody is about 6ft long when he sleeps!! He only ever sleeps stretched right out and he is an amazingly long chap.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I think it was between £20 and £25 but they do smaller ones which are a bit cheaper. They do it in a brown colour as well I think.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Do I sounds really lame if I say I still want it to look nice as it's to go in our living room?

We don't have a kitchen/utility room so he sleeps in the living room and I don't want my nicest room to start looking like a boot room.

Also, am wondering if he'll even use it Ramble as he seems to get so hot and bothered sometimes. He often chooses the floor with nothing on it over a fleece blanket we're currently using or the sofa. I just worry about him sleeping on a hard floor all the time.
If you chose a nice cover and a plain bit of vet bed it coulod look 'nice'.
Or just a piece of vet bed...

Mine don't sleep in the kitchen either...they have a bit of vet bed each in the day and then the hall turns into duvet city...a king size doubled over, a double doubled over and a single doubled over...all with their bits of vet bed over the top. The duvets are put away in the day (as they take up the whole hall....)
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
How about this:

http://www.petsathome.com/find/categ...duct-is-V00360

Might get quite warm though.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Have a look on Ebay theres lots on of really nice ones on there and very reasonable too. I know what you mean about it looking nice - my dog has her bed in the lounge as well - there are some really nice ones on Ebay - large pillow type beds with removable fake fur covers, its also worth looking at the Ebay shop listings
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 07:22 PM
I had to get rid of Mo's rigid bed because it was causing problems with her neck.
It was near Christmas and I wanted a bed to give her for a present.
I got 2 flat, soft beds from the Studio catalogue because they were in a sale. On top of this she has a single quilt, doubled and she is really comfy (talk about the princess and the pea!). She spends all night on this where as with the rigid one she spent most of the night on the settee
I buy quilt covers from the charity shops and have managed to pick up a couple of nice ones for her really cheap.

ETA I have just been on their website and they haven't got them anymore
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >