View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Lots of people on BritBarf said they defrosted and refroze stuff when I asked (because my bones/carcasses arrive in a frozen 15kg lump) and had no problems. I've been doing it with bones and the meat (defrosted enough to stuff Kongs then refrozen) with no problems for the past year or so.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
(although I dont actually know why it's a no-no in humans!)
I may be wrong but I believe it's because freezing doesn't necessarily kill all bacteria, so they start to multiply again while thawing, and if not cooked (which kills them) but refrozen, then thawed again, you'll be starting with millions more than you would usually have. Dogs can cope with that though (think: weeks dead rotting rabbit carcase eaten with glee and no repercussions).

I do have lambs hearts in the freezer and can get them very cheaply, but for some reason I don't tend to feed them often... once a week if that; they usually stay there as a standby when I'm getting low on other raw meats.

Just for reference in case anyone wasn't sure - hearts are not offal - they count as muscle meat.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I usually get lambs hearts fom the butcher but I've also got them from Tesco, blanched & frozen them. No ill effects from my dogs. Also, like krlyr I've had to partially defrost frozen bones to break them up & refreeze ~ again, my dogs have been fine on them.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Jake loves heart! I usually get him ox heart which is given in a big chunk for him to chew on, last time i got the heart chunks from a supplier which he loves too but are smaller chunks.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Does anyone else cut the fat off lambs hearts? Or is this just me watching Barney's weight? The crows & the seagulls love the fat
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Good God no!

My dogs need fat for energy!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2