View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2008, 03:07 AM

Is it okay to shave a double-coated dog? (Sibes?)

Hello everyone,

I have two Siberian huskies. We have very hot summers here in Oklahoma, USA. My Sibes always have little kiddy pools to lay in while they are outside to keep cool with. When they are not outside, they are inside in the cool AC. My mom is dreading their shedding coats and also always feels sorry for them because it gets so hot. She wants me to shave them.

I thought I read somewhere on here that it is not good to shave a double coated dog. I don't remember why, but I just remember that sticking in my head. Is this true?

I am aware that exposure to the sun can result in the dogs' skin being burnt. So does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! -Tara-
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Clipper yes, shave no. If you take off too much hair they will get sunburnt. Don't forget the double coat protects from the heat and well as the cold so it is ok to clipper down to about an 1" but do not remove altogether, you will still get the hair shedding though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Tara I really wouldn't want to cut a Sibes coat at all.

As Peta says it will not stop shedding but it will remove the protection the coat provides from the sun.

If you are only concerned about shedding I would get a couple of good quality combs, one with medium blunt teeth and one with fine blunt teeth ( you can also use a hard chalk block to get a better grip before combing, then brush out the chalk with a soft brush,all these can be purchase on the Internet ) . Start by combing with the coarser of the two Combs, then the fine one and comb every day. It will only take five minutes a day and should remove a lot of the shedding hair and your dogs will keep their magnificent insulating coats
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 08:01 AM
I`ve had dogs in Africa, where, believe me it`s hot! I`d say provide a shady place for them and don`t take them out between 10 and 4. That`s what we used to do. As has been said, you are taking away their natural protection if you clip them.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Farmers sometimes shear Collies, but particularly Old english sheepdogs. I have heard that the coat grows back even thicker.

Specsavers advert

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...arch&plindex=0
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh no...I wouldn't..

Although if they are struggling with the heat try clipping their belly and the insides of their back legs out..but I would stop there
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I would avoid it and try other things first....like making sure there is no extra dead fur in there by reg. grooming and giving dogs a place to be in the shade.

When it was ridiculously hot here a couple of summers ago I walked dogs at 0500-0700(!), then dampened them down a bit and they chose to lie in shade on cold stone flagstones. I would damp them down a bit at around 1600 again but the FL spent most of the night panting....it rarely dropped below 27 Celcius inside.

Dogs do adapt, to an extent. I have a rescue dog from Cambodia. Although I bought her to UK in the summer, she developed a big BIG double coat as protection, whereas in Cambodia she was almost smooth coated.

Mary
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Is the shaving to make their shedding easier in the house ???

It won't - there will just be spiky bits everywhere embedded in clothes and fabrics. I would not remove any coat - it would not grow back correctly and kept well grommed they ought to cope fine with the choice of inside in AC or outsode in shade and pool ...
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree, I wouldn't !

They do adapt, Mals and Sibes live happily with full coats in Australia, where we had 50+ degrees with our Mal. Just provide them with water and shade, they do adapt.

If it's for your convenience of not having fur in the house, daily grooming them, when they blow, will help, but don't shave them out of convenience
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2008, 02:25 AM
I am so happy you all have advised not to shave. I think they would look awful for one thing, but I figured they would still shed no matter what. They have adapted, they have never known anything different. Kieron just turned 6, so they are used to the heat. I just wanted some backup so I can explain why it's not a good idea. Thanks a ton everyone for your help! -Tara-
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >