Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
OK, so the dictionaries can't agree, either. I think, therefore, that it is incumbent on me to cast the deciding vote (because I feel like it! ).

TEA: A hot infusion of the leaves of Camelia sinensis.
DINNER: The main meal of the day.

Think of it this way - if the "hot infusion" version of tea had not existed in that form already, the word would not have been available for confusion with "dinner".

"Dinner" refers to the act of dining (eating). You cannot eat a liquid. QED.

Snorri
(I have spoken. Factus est)
Sorry Snorri - the Dictionary doesn't mention the word DINNER at all but it does mention TEA as a main evening meal - which is what I have been saying all the time
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Actually in the dictionary that I am looking at - The Collins English Dictionary - it doesn't mention Dinner at all It just says Dine - eat dinner - Diner - person eating a meal, chiefly US- small cheap restaurant and dining car -railway coach where meals are served and dining room - where meals are eaten. So no Dinner mentioned at all
how old is this dictionary? lol. mine is the oxford english dictionary (gift from my nan on my 21st)
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry Snorri - the Dictionary doesn't mention the word DINNER at all but it does mention TEA as a main evening meal - which is what I have been saying all the time
But tea time would imply drinking tea and perhaps biscuits or cakes if your Foxy...Not a main meal!!!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Just admit it Foxy-you're out gunned,out manuevered and just wrong!

Your version of the dictionary is clearly wrong!!!

No sorry Steve - its just you lot down there have become too Americanised Do you call the dustbin the Garbage can as well and petrol - Gas? We just stick to what we have always known up here - no copying the yanks for us
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by lillybet
how old is this dictionary? lol. mine is the oxford english dictionary (gift from my nan on my 21st)
I think that may be the trouble Lillybet-i bet Foxys is from 1937 and not even English...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
But tea time would imply drinking tea and perhaps biscuits or cakes if your Foxy...Not a main meal!!!

Yes it can mean that too but also the dictionary states A MAIN EVENING MEAL - and DINNER isn't actually a word in there
frizzy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Well said Foxy-TEA is the main evening meal...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

No sorry Steve - its just you lot down there have become too Americanised Do you call the dustbin the Garbage can as well and petrol - Gas? We just stick to what we have always known up here - no copying the yanks for us
No-petrol is still petrol,rubbish is still rubbish and tea is still a liquid drink!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wheaten mad
OMG please not another thread about this?! All that ever happens is the silly people who say tea are proven to be wrong (THE DICTIONARY IS ALWAYS RIGHT SO NER!!!) Now come on tea sayers I know it’s hard (particularly for the poor northerners ) but repeat after me....

D - I - N - N - E - R!

Er actually The Collins English Dictionary doesn't mention the word DINNER as a word Sarah I think you will find - but DOES however mention TEA AS A MAIN EVENING MEAL
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 01:11 PM
o my what have i started.

every1 is right. dinner is your main meal and tea is an evening meal (and a hot drink).
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »