Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valerie22
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2013, 01:46 PM

Help with dogs eyes

Hi please can anyone give me advice.
I took my 7mth old puppy to the vet two weeks ago with a sore eye(looks like conjunctivitis) They gave me Fucithalmic cream and charged me £51 which i thought very expensive! We started to treat her but half way through the tube my husband left the tube down and she got hold of it and chewed it resulting in not having the full course, i have called the vet to see if they can prescribe me another tube and they are telling me i need to go back in which is gonna cost me another £51. I have seen this cream on line for under £6 but you need a prescription to buy..... any one able to give any help as i feel im being ripped off but if i need to go back i will.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Can you ask your vet for the prescription? They will charge - ours charges £9.95.
Tikali
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2013, 03:19 PM
was the £51 the total bill including the consultation/treatment? Seems extremely expensive for a tube of cream, even from the vet! If you are just calling in for more cream it shouldn't cost £51, although still cheaper on-line probably, even with a prescription charge.
valerie22
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi yes this was the consultation too, but when i called this morning explaining what had happened they said i would need to see the vet again! Can i just get the prescription from any vet without them seeing her? The eye drops are only £5.95 on line but you need a prescription and i am very new to all this......To add to this all we have just moved house at the weekend so have not yet registered with a new vet. thanks for all your help.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2013, 06:05 PM
The vet shouldn't insist on seeing your dog and charging consult fee in the circumstances and should just let you either have another tube or a prescription as you must finish the prescribed course of treatment.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2013, 06:06 PM
No, you can't get a prescription from any vet. You can only get prescriptions from a vet who is treating your dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2013, 06:12 PM
It depends - how long is it from the tube was chewed? If a reasonsble amount of time has passed since first seen then of course they will want to see the dog again. Eyes are important. & not to be trifled with. Conjunctivitis wont go away unless its treated. Ongoing treatments are usually not as expensive as the first initial treatment.

As its the dogs eyes i would urge you to get treatment as soon as you can. You dont want a chronic eye condition to set in - you could end up paying out a lot more

Have you got your dog insured?
valerie22
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
It was only last week we had only been treating her for about three days when she chewed the tube, i think the best thing to do is go to another vet and get some new cream, no she is not insured because we feel it never covers the first £50 or so anyway and we are in France a lot too and not sure if it covers abroad, but assure me we would spend 1000's if needed as she is not just our pet but part of our family. >3
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by valerie22 View Post
It was only last week we had only been treating her for about three days when she chewed the tube, i think the best thing to do is go to another vet and get some new cream, no she is not insured because we feel it never covers the first £50 or so anyway and we are in France a lot too and not sure if it covers abroad, but assure me we would spend 1000's if needed as she is not just our pet but part of our family. >3
Petplan lifetime would cover abroad. And yes every insurance (I think) does apply an excess to claims.

However should the eye problem continue, the bill could go into hundreds and now, should you decide to insure, you may find that eye conditions are excluded. Although Petplan do review certain conditions and can lift exclusions.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Ask your vet for a new prescription... mine hardly ever charges and even if he does on the odd occasion it's only 6 euro.. or have a look on-line again, some sell it to you even without a prescription... I always get milbemax worming online and some need a prescription and others don't..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >