Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
theres also the fact that if you change your mind, how easily do you think this will sell again?
Yup - unfortunately I think you'd be stuck with it
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Yup - unfortunately I think you'd be stuck with it
I have that feeling too and also the fact that it wont be as simple as working summer off winter. It will be work like MAD in summer doing WHATEVER you can from spring to Autumn to survive the winter, long days. So not really getting to enjoy the highland beauty galore but have to put up with the winters. I DO think its do-able and perhaps if I had family I would do it tbh! But on my own I wouldn't but then H has Dave so it depends Helena on what your looking for......

Edit, sorry meant to say, supermarkets are more expensive, some places (and couriers) wont deliver, others add more charges for couriers, fuel is more expensive..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I agree with what Moobli has posted too. I actually think you would need to both go with the dogs and spend a few weeks before you would actually even get an idea of the place. The winter time you need to be ok with seeing a lot of each other and not much of anyone else if your particular property is remote in its own right (but think you have Motel as a neighbour? Is that open year round?)

Like I said, others use a snow mobile at time BUT you may not be able to do that if you are just off an 'actual road'...

You'd need to go and suss it all out and see how you felt about it.
We bought an old snowmobile last year and it was an absolute life saver last winter. You can use them on roads, but obviously the road needs to have a decent covering of snow too. The roads up here get blocked every year, but not sure whether that would be the case with the road outside the Inn, if it is a major route further north? If so, I am sure the Council would try to keep it open as best they can, so a snowmobile could be of little use ... apart from out on the hills - and then you have to be extremely careful!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:40 PM
We bought an old snowmobile last year and it was an absolute life saver last winter. You can use them on roads, but obviously the road needs to have a decent covering of snow too. The roads up here get blocked every year, but not sure whether that would be the case with the road outside the Inn, if it is a major route further north? If so, I am sure the Council would try to keep it open as best they can, so a snowmobile could be of little use ... apart from out on the hills - and then you have to be extremely careful!
yep I'm thinking it might be off the main road by the sounds of it

With 8 acres though I am wondering if they could also have quad days/stag weekends n stuff
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:50 PM
This place was for sale not all that long ago ... it would be a better prospect if it were still on the market (and not way over budget!). If my memory serves me correctly it was on the Relocation show on Ch4 and its turnover was really excellent.

http://www.ardgour.biz/index.html
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:55 PM
This place was for sale not all that long ago ... it would be a better prospect if it were still on the market (and not way over budget!). If my memory serves me correctly it was on the Relocation show on Ch4 and its turnover was really excellent.

http://www.ardgour.biz/index.html
fort william is usually heaving in summer as is Pitlochry etc but hence expensive prices

H, 80 miles to Inverness is not like arriving in London from where you are, its more like a town, anything bigger and its down to aberdeen, so even further...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I can't remember the price tag on this one unfortunately. It is the opposite side of Loch Linnhe to Fort William, and the Corran Ferry brings passengers over to Ardnamurchan and stops right by the Inn, so it will get loads of custom ... so yes, hence why it will probably have a high price tag.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the fantastic input/advice etc. Natalie and Kirsty (not forgetting Peedie with your Orkney link there, loving the 6 bed country house!!!). After much deliberation with Dave tonight, going through the details, it sounds like too much like hard work to reap any kind of living, too many midges in the summer, too much cooking for me (again - don't forget I've done the Care home the guesthouse and the outside catering along with the mobile unit, cook, cook, bladdy cook )too much committment on my part, when I'm supposed to be retired and walking the dogs!!!

Soooooo, I'm now onto the nice little earner of the sandwich van round, he only works 8 am to 1pm and turns over £100K a year for his troubles! Just so happens I know the profit of coffee and sarnies coz I did it at Hickstead for many years, so it's back in North Yorkshire for us now, and the prices of detatched bungalows are pretty unbelievable We have found half a dozen that are right up our street nothing over £200K, plus the little sarnie van - sorted!!!

No doubt it'll all change tomorrow, but Dave is excited about this one coz he said he would love to do something like that (even though I have my doubts coz he hated working with me in that field), but I'm more than prepared to make 'em, but it'll be his job to shift 'em! Thank goodness our buyers still have their property to sell (their sale fell through), coz it gives me plenty of time to find something that suits us both.

You're right Kirsty and Natalie, although I can do remote, there is remote, and then there is reeeeeemote!!!!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Orkney is definitely reeeeemote ha ha!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:29 PM
My Brother lives right up in northern scotland, Forres and yes it's absolultey beautiful, loads of great walkies spots and most of the cafe's / pubs are dog friendly. Their idea of rush hour is 3 cars in front of you instead of 1

But in the winter when the snow comes it's pretty bleak and extremely cold I think it dropped down to -20 last year

Come on up to Yorkshire but don't forget your flat cap n whippet!!!
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »