View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Shaving double coated dogs - an act of cruelty?

Hi all
I've not posted before on here but I've been around a while, reading and learning! I just wanted to ask your opinions about shaving a double coated dog such as a border collie.

I have long coated border collies and I have always understood that if you keep their undercoat well combed, so that air can flow freely through the coat, then the coat actually helps to keep them cool. Certainly mine have never suffered from heatstroke or anything like that. I've read various things on the net, and what most people seem to be saying is that shaving a dog to keep them cool never works and is actually an act of cruelty because a) you are stopping one of their natural cooling systems from working properly and b) you might make the coat grow evenmore thinck and wooly.

From what I've read so far on the net most people who are saying this seem to be experienced owners/decent groomers/knowledgable owners, and the people who are advocating shaving seem to be inexperienced owners/lazy owners who can't be bothered to groom properly/less scrupulous groomers.

Just wondered what people on here thought.
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:18 AM
i agree it is lazy inexperinced ownersand those who cant be bothered with grooming who shave there dogs , i wouldnt dream of shaving my borders they need there coats
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't think shaving is an act of cruelty but I do agree that it is usually done by those who cannot groom their dogs properly so leaving them fully coated and matted is probably the act of cruelty there.
Some dogs do seem to suffer more with the heat and things need to be done to reduce that impact but I have to say, in the main, most dogs that suffer in the heat tend to be a tad over weight and slimming them down would be far more effective at reducing it than taking their coats off.
Clipping coats off only makes the regrowth woolly if the dog has been neutered. Entire animals usually grow back their proper coats once given a full cycle.
Becky
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the reply Border1 - I think you are probably right. I wonder why someone would buy a double-coated dog if they are not prepared to put the work in to look after the coat? There are enough short-haired single-coated breeds about!
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't think shaving is an act of cruelty but I do agree that it is usually done by those who cannot groom their dogs properly so leaving them fully coated and matted is probably the act of cruelty there.
Some dogs do seem to suffer more with the heat and things need to be done to reduce that impact but I have to say, in the main, most dogs that suffer in the heat tend to be a tad over weight and slimming them down would be far more effective at reducing it than taking their coats off.
Clipping coats off only makes the regrowth woolly if the dog has been neutered. Entire animals usually grow back their proper coats once given a full cycle.
Becky
See what you mean Becky, about it being cruel to let a dog get into that state in the first place. And I agree that if the choice is a matted, overweight dog then clipping the dog would be the lesser of two evils. But I guess one of the things I wanted to check was if by clipping the dog you are stopping one of it's natural cooling processes happening, is that an act of cruelty too?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Hmmm. As the dog that is shaved tends to be, in the main, not the ones that are being properly groomed/cared for then no it isn't.
However, when I got clients in who wanted everything off I explained to them it was better to keep the coat on but properly brushed out and clean and most followed that advice.
Becky
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Hmmm. As the dog that is shaved tends to be, in the main, not the ones that are being properly groomed/cared for then no it isn't.
However, when I got clients in who wanted everything off I explained to them it was better to keep the coat on but properly brushed out and clean and most followed that advice.
Becky
You sound like a good groomer Becky!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't groom any more because I couldn't stand seeing so many poorly cared for dogs, matted, ear problems, smelly, over weight, long nails, untreated wounds, lumps and even had an abcess burst on me, the smell was atrocious.
It didn't matter how many times I pointed out these problems the vast majority of them never got treated or brushed or anything. Saddened me a lot.
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:00 AM
The three I have now are easy to groom, but my late Meg was double coated and I always groomed her...daily
I think shaving is for lazy groomers. when the dog has got matted etc
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Maybe shaving double coated dogs isn't cruelty in the sense that beating dogs is cruelty, but it is certainly ignorant and irresponsible.
In our breed, the coat is an essential part of the dog's heating and cooling system. It is equally efficient at keeping the dogs warm in extreme winter conditions and cool in hot summers. The hollow outer guard hairs are effective insulation against both heat and cold. To remove the coat in summer is to increase the likelihood of heat exhaustion, heat stroke and serious sunburn.

Mick
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »