View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
I was brought up in a house where shoes were taken off in the porch regardless of whether they were clean or dirty, we did have a dog but the house was immaculate. At the time i used to be embarrassed asking friends to remove shoes etc...

Now i have my own house, laminate floors and 6 dogs.....its not imacculate and has no porch. I dont see the point in removing shoes and running the risk of standing on a bone, toy, biscuit or something worse LOL

Maybe as and when i get a bigger house with a porch and some dog free areas, i would start taking my shoes off again...and then i might ask guests too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes I try to get people to remove their shoes/wellingtons before entering the house and I usually remove mine when visiting others.

If you lived where I do you probably would too .
I live on a no through lane which goes down to fields filled with cattle. The farmer comes up and down the lane frequently with a tractor and there is often mud and cow poo on the lane outside.
This is a small price to pay for living in such a beautiful spot with immediate access to fields and very little traffic.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2009, 10:37 AM
When i lived in E Asia it was the cultural norm to remove shoes at the door. No-one there wanted dirt from the street in the house....and were amazed we didn't too. I wish we did the same. Many's the time a nasty wiff has followed me around after scuffling through autumn leaves LOL!

I'm about to lay new carpet upstairs...so rule will apply up there, but not downstairs as its way too cold in my house and visitors would object to the dog fur on their toes!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Yes I try to get people to remove their shoes/wellingtons before entering the house and I usually remove mine when visiting others.

If you lived where I do you probably would too .
I live on a no through lane which goes down to fields filled with cattle. The farmer comes up and down the lane frequently with a tractor and there is often mud and cow poo on the lane outside.
This is a small price to pay for living in such a beautiful spot with immediate access to fields and very little traffic.
How lovely! Care to do a house swap? I already know your answer ...

Definitely remove walking boots/wellies, that kind of thing.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 01:28 PM
It depends on the visitor, but generally yes, we do!
We have a cream carpet (not a good idea with dogs) in the living room, and if you've been out in the rain there will be muddy footprints all over our carpet - that the hoover just won't pick up!

We don't really have a lot of visitors though, it's mainly friends, and they know to take their shoes off lol
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 02:00 PM
We never wear our shoes in the house, but our carpet is very old and pretty minging so I don't ask people to take their shoes off. If they want to that's ok too

When we get a new carpet I might think differently though
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
With 4 dogs charging in and out all the time, definitely ON!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I can't think why anybody would want to wear shoes in any house? The whole thing about feeling "at home" indoors is having nothing on your feet, and the only reason I wear slippers is coz the kitchen floor is cold if I don't have socks on, but they are soon kicked off when I'm out of there! I don't think I've ever worn shoes indoors in any of my houses, even when I had minging carpets!!! Mind you, I'm one of those people who never liked shoes and used to kick them off at my desk at school, and I remember one of the math's teachers always laughing at me for doing that! I must be a bit strange, coz I like bare feet!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
The first thing we do is take off our shoes and put on our slippers but I would never ask a guest to do it.
I find the majority of folk take their shoes off anyway.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm the same Helena. Can't even stand slippers! Just feel uncomfortable when anything is on my feet. When I do have to wear shoes, it has to be the most comfortable shoes possible.

I have a pair of crocs that I leave at the back door, to go out in the garden for cleaning up, playing with the dogs, etc., other than that, nothing on feet at all. Can't even stand socks! Even when I was young and wore "fashion" shoes, I'd always kick them off to drive, as I wouldn't keep them on for a moment, if I wasn't walking in the street
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >