Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kokaka
New Member!
Male 

02-05-2017, 10:32 AM

German Shepherd or Rottweiler?

Hi all.

So me and my wife will soon buy a house and because of that, we can finally get some dogs that we have been dreaming about. She has her eyes set on an English Bulldog but it is more difficult for me and I am pending between a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler.
The dog I'm after will first and foremost be someone that works well with the family, especially in the future, about 4 years since we plan on having kids. I'm not looking for a guard dog since the mere presence of one of the two alternatives will be enough to work as a deterrent for any burglar, even tough protection is one of the reason I want to get a dog.

As for me, I'm well versed in the German Shepherds since I have had two before. I have also had an Alaskan Malamute, and for two years, a Dobberman in the family.
I also love to train, work and play with the dogs which, I have read is mandatory for a Rottweiler from an early age so I think I will be a capable owner to have one since they can be more stubborn than a German Shepherd.

So for my situation, do you have any ideas or tips on what would work the best? Also, how is the general energy and psychology of a Rottweiler since I have never played or trained one before? Are they anxious, lazy or balanced if handled properly? Also, if you have had both, it would be nice to share some information or stories about the breed, how they differ and in their similarities.

Edit: One more question about the Rottie. How easy would it be to train a Rottweiler to walk in various environment without a leash, like in a park or when I'm out for a jog? Is it the same training to to it with the German Shepherd or would it be a lot more investment due to a Rottweiler can be a little more stubborn and dominant towards other dogs?
CooperTheGrey
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2017, 11:34 PM
I can't say for sure what dog I think would be better, but I will say I know someone who owns a Rottie who is the sweetest thing. The owner has had rottweilers for most of her life and her children grew up with them also. She has trained them all to be well mannered and her rottie even has CGC Gold. In my experience I think Rottweilers do have a fair amount of energy but not so much that they'll run you ragged, plus if you have owned an Alaskan malamute and German Shepards you should be fine
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Out of the three breeds you mention the GSD sounds like it would suit best, the rotti and bulldog are not suited for jogging companions.

Also you could consider other breeds if you want a dog that can offer some form of deterrent and able to keep up with jogging/

The dobe for one ( you know them ) also to consider the giant Schnauzer , black Russian terrier or the Hovawart (probably closest to the GSD )
Vesomply1972
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I am also not sure what dog will be best for you but I think you need to have Rottie , he is good and sweetest most of the other dogs, if you will want to get German Shepherd he will be little dangerous but still not sure.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Oh without a doubt I'd go for a Dobermann but I have a massive soft spot for them. They are far more athletic than a Rottie especially if you get a female. Fabulous family dogs and I always found them easy to train as long as you don't bore them with repetitions.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2017, 05:40 PM
I'd get a collie - but maybe just a bit of personal bias there.........
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I'd get a collie - but maybe just a bit of personal bias there.........
This one....

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2017, 03:35 PM
A working line GSD pup from a breeder who prioritises temperament and health as well as working ability would fit the bill from your description.

Have a read of these excellent articles ...

http://www.germanshepherdguide.com/temperament.html

http://gracekeh.hubpages.com/hub/Wor...and-Companions
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2017, 09:58 AM
German Shepherd without a doubt.