Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Not in the way you think they `should`, no. They recognise that they are smaller and have higher pitched voices, that`s about it, but its enough to associate other similarly sized and sounding humans to being `like the one that hurt them`, same as some dogs are fearful of all men because of being beaten by one, or fearful of all women because they were beaten by one, it`s more association than recognition.

Also, dogs don`t tend to be able to ask for birth certificates when trying to defend themselves from a beating or having stones or bricks thrown at them so that they`ll know the small abuser is more fragile than an adult one.
So they can recognise the difference then. Thought so.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Whether they have much intelligence or not, thats not for me to say, they certainly do not have the understanding of an adult do they?

Depends on how they have been brought up, what they have been exposed to, how much they are encouraged to think for themselves etc. Again Dawn what age do you think enables a child to suddenly be self aware ?
I`ve known 7 year olds with far more common sense than 40 year olds thats for sure
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

I dont have a book Colin, and I am not a child psycholigist or analyst. I do know however that many children do not have the understanding that others may of the same age, so obviously cannot be held responsible for their actions at any age. What I think is immaterial to cases such as you have mentioned, and quite honestly I dont see the relevance.
The relevance is that the court found these 2 10-year olds responsible for their actions and were found guilty. But you have maintained that children can not be held responsible because they don't know better, so in turn a dog should not defend itself against a child that is abusing it. Sorry Dawn you can't have it both ways.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:40 AM
So they can recognise the difference then. Thought so.
Please don`t try twisting what I wrote - no they do not recognise them the way you think they should as already stated along with why - they do not know they are what humans call `children`, to a dog there are big humans, small humans, and sizes inbetween - they don`t comprehend the age of them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But you expect dogs to differentiate at the time of the abuse? Something/someone is inflicting pain either by beating or shoving something into it or kicking it whatever?

What about if its for the first time? A child comes up kicks the dog, stuffs a pencil in its ear enough to cause serious damage and its all of a sudden supposed to know the difference - oh its a small human being so I shouldnt react?

How about the same scenario with an adult?
I want to go to bed!!!

See, we hear all the time from people "the kids can do anything to him" yes? Drives me nuts, that shouldnt be the case, however we also hear that these same dogs would "protect" the child. Why? could it be its because they are a child and they see a difference?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
The relevance is that the court found these 2 10-year olds responsible for their actions and were found guilty. But you have maintained that children can not be held responsible because they don't know better, so in turn a dog should not defend itself against a child that is abusing it. Sorry Dawn you can't have it both ways.
I said I value a human over a dog Colin, you are talking of human on human attacks and not of any dog abuse. If you had asked if a child was responsible for abusing a dog, Id say in all probability they didnt know any better, possibly because they hadnt been taught it, but probably because they just didnt understand.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Is this thread really going anywhere? And to the regular posters on here, how many have actually been in the situation where their dog has bitten someone and what actions did they take, or is everyone talking theoretically
If it is the view that a dog should be PTS then a lot of vets around the country would be putting to sleep a lot of dogs that have bitten them whilst they are being treated. Or is it only wrong for a dog to bite a child??
To those that say humans come above dogs. If your dog bit someone who was attacking you, should the dog be put down as it could attack again, or is it as I suspect as people have said that each individual situation should be looked at independently????
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Please don`t try twisting what I wrote - no they do not recognise them the way you think they should as already stated along with why - they do not know they are what humans call `children`, to a dog there are big humans, small humans, and sizes inbetween - they don`t comprehend the age of them.
Again thats your opinion, I disagree.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Is this thread really going anywhere? And to the regular posters on here, how many have actually been in the situation where their dog has bitten someone and what actions did they take, or is everyone talking theoretically
If it is the view that a dog should be PTS then a lot of vets around the country would be putting to sleep a lot of dogs that have bitten them whilst they are being treated. Or is it only wrong for a child to bite a dog??
To those that say humans come above dogs. If your dog bit someone who was attacking you, should the dog be put down as it could attack again, or is it as I suspect as people have said that each individual situation should be looked at independantly????
I havent had a dog of mine bite anyone, but I have had several dogs in rescue that bit their owners and I blamed the owners for it, only to find out in time, the dog attacked again. I gave the dog the benefit of the doubt and a second chance. One of those dogs attacked my boss, taking a piece out of her stomach, having showed no signs of it in the months I had him till that day, another was alomst rehomed by myself, but I hung back, despite showing no signs of what his previous owner described something made me stop, about a wek or so late, the dog tried to attack me and then subsequently others.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I said I value a human over a dog Colin, you are talking of human on human attacks and not of any dog abuse. If you had asked if a child was responsible for abusing a dog, Id say in all probability they didnt know any better, possibly because they hadnt been taught it, but probably because they just didnt understand.
Please don't try to tell me that children of all ages don't know that you shouldn't hurt a dog let alone abuse the poor thing.
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 31 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »