Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Guilty as charged!

Used to have a Fender Strat copy, but had to choose between it and eating, once. It lost.

Now I use a Takeharu acoustic 12-string which sings like a little birdie, despite having been run over once, at a folk festival!

It has been used (informally, in pubs) to accompany the likes of Aly Bain (Shetland fiddler), Brian McNeill (formerly fiddler of the Battlefield Band) and others in the Scottish folk scene. Not so many since I moved to the Twilight Zone.

First tune was "The House of the Rising Sun", like all 12-year-old boys, back when I was 12..................it still sounds good on a 12-string
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-03-2007, 02:24 PM
12 string. Whenever I've played a 12 string I can't help sounding like the Byrds !
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
12 string. Whenever I've played a 12 string I can't help sounding like the Byrds !
There are worse things you could sound like!

Try fingerpicking a 12-string - it can make you sound better than you really are (well, it works for me )

Snorri
(John Williams - not!)
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 02:34 PM
OH plays guitar and saxophone. I can play a bit of guitar and accompany him and his mates who play together regularly in our front room.

We have a Westfield that I play and an Ovation. Have had a fair few over the years but the Westfield was our first guitar and the Ovation has a beautiful sound and lovely action so, although being at the cheaper end of the market, it is a favourite.

We have a friend who owns a guitar shop and has some great guitars. He is quite unique in his approach to his guitars for sale as he is a great believer in a hands on approach and anyone is able to try anything at all in his shop as long as you treat it with respect. If he knows you you can also take it home on trial with no obligation to buy

Most other shops around here will only let you try if you are seriously considering buying and then watch you like a hawk - which doesn't improve the standard of my playing

Mac's shop is an open house and you can just call in and have a strum on anything and you even get a free cup of tea thrown in
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Rock Chick !!!

wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Suits her!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I have a Yamaha Pacifica electric which I play very badly. Still trying to find the time to learn .
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
the Ovation has a beautiful sound and lovely action so, although being at the cheaper end of the market, it is a favourite.
I'd be interested to know where this market is, because the last Ovation I saw (in Edinburgh) was over £1000! I'd LOVE an Ovation (6- or 12-string), but I think I'd need a second mortgage!

Snorri
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Suits her!
A bit on the large size
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
A bit on the large size
Careful dad, she'll grow into it in no time.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >