Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Lauren, different lines carry different amounts of coat. Bournehouse English Setters are renowned for their heavy coats, it can put some people off because of the upkeep but I like a glamourous dog with lots of bone and furnishings, it's just a personal preference thing From what I can remember we didn't find out who bred Paddy, it could be that he has some working lines in him, they tend to not carry as much coat because of getting caught in brambles etc., it also depends on diet and all sorts of other things. A lot of setter exhbitors like a heavy coat, some think it isn't a good thing, hence the variety you see in the ring these days.

I would say that Hen has one of the longest coats in the English Setter ring at the moment, some people think it's too much, others like it. As I said previously, he is as nature intended so I will be keeping him like it rather than chopping some off
Yeah, I told his owner that I thought he would most likely be from working lines, because of how little coat he has... With him, it's not even like he has a long coat that is thin etc, he just has extremely little there... barely any compared to a lot of Setters I did wonder if it would grow more once he put on weight, but even now that he is a good weight and eating a good diet, there is still no change so I think it is just him. I remember even from a puppy, he had a thin coat. I can't imagine what it is like to have a dog with those big thick coats though, coz Paddy is bad enough He gets twigs stuck around his back legs and tail, and he is a nightmare to dry! Towel drying has no effect whatsoever, whereas with Jake he is almost bone dry... It must just be what his coat is like.

I can see why OH was so confused though, because the Irish Setter at Crufts, and Paddy are like night and day
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 06:30 AM
What a shame, Sheree - Hen looks just amazing......

Never mind hon, there's always next year

x0x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Yeah, I told his owner that I thought he would most likely be from working lines, because of how little coat he has... With him, it's not even like he has a long coat that is thin etc, he just has extremely little there... barely any compared to a lot of Setters I did wonder if it would grow more once he put on weight, but even now that he is a good weight and eating a good diet, there is still no change so I think it is just him. I remember even from a puppy, he had a thin coat. I can't imagine what it is like to have a dog with those big thick coats though, coz Paddy is bad enough He gets twigs stuck around his back legs and tail, and he is a nightmare to dry! Towel drying has no effect whatsoever, whereas with Jake he is almost bone dry... It must just be what his coat is like.

I can see why OH was so confused though, because the Irish Setter at Crufts, and Paddy are like night and day

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
What a shame, Sheree - Hen looks just amazing......

Never mind hon, there's always next year

x0x
Thanks Vicki xx
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 12:10 AM
He looks very handsome
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by emma47 View Post
He looks very handsome
Thanks Emma
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2012, 07:04 AM
when my wifer and i were watching this she had said she like your dog very much, hadn't realised it was you when we wre watching!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
when my wifer and i were watching this she had said she like your dog very much, hadn't realised it was you when we wre watching!
Aww, thanks very much

I can only assume he got an electric shock off the carpet as he was fine before we went in and fine as soon as I took him out of the ring. I had him at the vets yesterday for a pre-booked MOT and they could find nothing wrong with him, which I'm very pleased about, but still gutted that he chose Crufts to have a blip at
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5