View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Please take the advice and get the trainer who has been suggested in.
Ollie my previous Bernese a molasser breed very strong jaw and can do a lot of damage if they want too. He was fear aggressive I must admit we found a way to manage him and he never bit anyone and especially not anyone in his family. Bernese are not bred for guarding like the Mastiff but for being a watch dog and alerting you to possible intrusion but for some the instinct is much stronger and they feel they need to take charge of the situation. Your dog is stressed and you need to find a way to decrease the stress and if possible keep her away from the door which leads to the front door if possible.
Dillon my second Bernese can be a bit bolshy I have had a couple of incidents but his is over zealous play but it is being nipped in the bud.
I have no issues with him with the front door or delivery people in fact he wants everyone to come in and meet him.
At the previous house it was all open plan and he was allowed to come to the front door to meet the postman delivery people etc., he loved it he didn't get stressed by it unlike your dog. Now where we live our front door opens onto a main road he has had to alter his behaviour and is not allowed to greet at the front door we have one door from the lounge to the hall. From day one he has been taught to wait we shut the door he gets praise when we have shut the doors safely. He now does it automatically and will not venture into the hall unless told he can I still wouldn't trust him if the front door was open.
Have you thought about clicker training him to stay put when the door goes and to not let him into the area that sets him off. I am successfully clicker training Dillon to keep off our clothing when in the garden to teach him it is not a free for all and for him to assume he can bully us into play.
You though and I feel very strongly will need expert advice on this situation but maybe it would not hurt to try some impulse control training while waiting for an appointment.

I do feel for me personally if my dog was showing no signs with training and was becoming that stressed and focused and had bitten more than once it would be a PTS situation for me. Once I think you can maybe forgive and and if its not a child decide to keep trying but more than once and these sound like serious bites not just hard mouthing and bruising I would be reassessing the situation very carefully.

I believe I replied to one of your previous threads and said this is stress related like our Ollie use to be but on on higher level and that you needed to keep the dog away from all the triggers that stress her out if that isn't working your dog is not in a happy place mentally. That is not your fault or anyone else's fault and certainly not your dogs fault it may be genetic or bad breeding and whatever you try will not work your dog can seriously hurt and do not underestimate the damage this dog could do if it wanted too and if stressed enough even if it is only living with you or husband it can do serious damage.

I hope this post doesn't sound condescending it isn't meant to be.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Mattie I admire your stance it's a fault in many of us we offer advice and when it isn't taken we get shirty with the person when they ask again. I am as guilty as anyone. Only thing I will say though is unless we have all the facts it's hard to offer proper help and until it was brought to our attention that this had been going on so long and escalating as well we had little to go on. IMO someone said assertiveness training for the OP is needed and I have to agree because it sounds like the rest of the family will allow this to go on until she is badly injured or even killed before they say enough.
You are right Julie, it is very difficult at times trying to help people on the internet, all we can do is offer suggestions because we can't see what is happening. There are times when I need a check because I get frustrated at some of the posts, we are only human and not angels.

It is difficult to stand up to more than one man as well, unless you are like me, bl**** minded Both the husband and son should not put her in this position but they have, it has nothing to do with how much they love her, they are a lot stronger than her and don't see the problem. I do hope that they realise what is happening before she is seriously injured or even killed.

Mattie I was merely trying to help you identify the dog and breed as you had it wrong. thought the older threads would jog your memory. I didn't realise it was the same dog at first.
I realised that Tong, sorry if I sounded a bit off it, at the moment I am in a lot of pain, need my hip replacing so if I sound crabby it is the pain and not really me. If it wasn't for the dogs and having to feed and exercise them I wouldn't feed myself, once I am up I do feed myself after my dogs have been fed. I can't take the morphine based painkillers because I have hallucinations with them so have to stay with Tramadol.

Everyone needs a reality check every so often, including me, but we don't put people at risk as these 2 men are doing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You are right Julie, it is very difficult at times trying to help people on the internet, all we can do is offer suggestions because we can't see what is happening. There are times when I need a check because I get frustrated at some of the posts, we are only human and not angels.

It is difficult to stand up to more than one man as well, unless you are like me, bl**** minded Both the husband and son should not put her in this position but they have, it has nothing to do with how much they love her, they are a lot stronger than her and don't see the problem. I do hope that they realise what is happening before she is seriously injured or even killed.

I realised that Tong, sorry if I sounded a bit off it, at the moment I am in a lot of pain, need my hip replacing so if I sound crabby it is the pain and not really me. If it wasn't for the dogs and having to feed and exercise them I wouldn't feed myself, once I am up I do feed myself after my dogs have been fed. I can't take the morphine based painkillers because I have hallucinations with them so have to stay with Tramadol.

Everyone needs a reality check every so often, including me, but we don't put people at risk as these 2 men are doing.
No need to apologise for anything Mattie. I respect your right to your opinions. We can debate like adults. I believe we are both getting a little 'long in the tooth'!

*and I'm on the Tramalamadingdongs too at the mo! I'd be worse if I wasn't lol!
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi All

Jaq Bunn replied to my e mail very promptly but unfortunately she is unable to help me due to distance. She recommend I contacted a David Ryan which I have done, but unfortunately he is not taking on private clients at the moment. So i am going to look at a link he has suggested. Wish me luck, the Diazepam is running low.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Good luck Freckles(( hugs))
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2013, 01:43 AM
Good luck Freckles! You are doing a truly admirable job here.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7