Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:07 AM

recall

hi guys, yet another problem.lol.

After reading katys post, and she seems to have a really good recall with max.
However, indie is complete opposite. She now has a really good recall at home and in garden. but out on walks she jus doesnt listen. She just carries on and runs as far ahead as she can. When we tried her on the lunge rope she was even worse.
She isnt interested in treats, even somethin really great like really stinky cheese which she will usually do back flips for! she has no interest in toys either. How can i give her a good reward for comin back to me if she doesnt want anything?

At the puppy classes she was great, i mean, we had her heal off lead and she was paying attention and watching me the whole time, but once we are out on a walk, its a different story.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2004, 11:12 AM
cant really help much Jenny

Could Indie just be really excited at being off the lead as she does not get off that much.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:14 AM
thats what i was thinking carole i was advised when max was a pup to let max off the lead straight away first day out while he was still nervous and go out with adult dogs with good recall and thats what i did . max (apart from if there is another dog) has excellent recall from day one we practised it about twenty times a walk and didnt always call him just to put him on lead we would call him treat him and send him off again. i know its a bit later for this for indie now and i know jenny did try it when she was tiny so i dont really know what jenny can do now but i am sure somebody will have some good advice
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:16 AM
i dont let her off lead, i mean on a flexi lead or the lunge rope. she jus doesnt listen. Even on a short lead, she jus doesnt respond to her name or anything.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Why not just give her a great big fuss when she does come back to you and tell her she's a good girl. Jas responds really well to that and loves it.
Carole
Supervisor

27-10-2004, 11:18 AM
thats what we did with Star too, and I still do when out on walks.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:27 AM
embarrassingly max comes best if i call 'hey little pud pud' which i obviousley said too much when he was tiny or even worse he will def come if i say 'hey sexy' but most of all he likes to hear 'hey max look what mummys got for you'
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 11:34 AM
pmsl katy
Carole
Supervisor

27-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 12:55 PM
jus got back from a walk with her. I ran backwards and forwards until i was blue in the face tryin to get her to focus on me. I kept changing the direction of the walk and everytime she pulled i stopped and called her to me and tried to bring her to heel. but as usual, she paid no attention to me

on the bright side, we saw a little white staffy pup on our walk, only 14 weeks old, no collar or lead and walkin right next to her owner he picked her up when he saw indie til herealised she was ok. I asked him how he got her to walk next to him and he said 'well they say that the first time they run off to smack them and they never do it again'.
but thing is, when we went for our first ever walk with indie, she wasnt scared or anythin and she jus powered ahead paying absolutely no attention to me, and when she runs off, she doesnt jus run off and then look to see where i am, she jus runs and runs.

whereas, when scruffy was a pup, who is now my mums dog, he spent a good couple of months tied to my feet he was too scared to leave my side. stupid me never thought to try him off lead.

but indie was far too confident for her own good

anyway, when we got home i let her in the garden and i practised the recall and heel.. and guess wot.. she did it perfectly... including sit and lay stays and heel without even lookin at her. but out on a walk.. no chance!

i just dont understand!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >