View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
When I get to my late 50's I will stop getting pups and get older rescues if I am lucky enough to be fit to still own dogs
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
As jackbox said I think it depends on your fitness and condition at that age.

I was only thinking about this the other day as I was out walking Monty and
there was this old guy, early 70's but was also overweight and walked with a stick. He had a rough collie which was admittedly very well behaved but was roaming around and often a good distance away from this guy. Now if that dog had turned nasty for any reason it would've taken him ages to get from one side of the field to the other by which point it could've been too late. Also the dog had no collar on and the owner was paying no particular attention to his dog.

Granted it's nice that the guy still gets out and about with the dog but with such little control it's not really ideal. If it had wandered up to an aggresive dog on a lead or something it could've turned ugly.

So I think within reason and certain circumstances then yes but if you can't control the dog or react quick enough if something went wrong then no. It's a bit like driving I guess!!
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
My dogs at the moment are all still under three. They will be the last large breed dogs we have as we are in our mid 40's. I think this is the reason we have three of them, we know its the last of the big guys I may even have one more.
Anyway when these guys pass to rainbow bridge i will switch to a smaller dog as i cant imagine my life without a dog.
Probably a Lhapso apso.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I think small dogs are too much of a trip hazard and will probably stick to large breeds. They tend to have shorter life expectancies, so will age along with me. Unlike a small dog which may live for around 15-20 years. A well trained dog, doesn't require brute strength anyway. My current crop are all 4 and under so I will deal with it when the time comes.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone, pmsl at the trip hazard comment, I never thought of that lol, in all seriousness though that does make sense...
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
lol at tripping!! i find it easier to not see little dogs now, and i'm only 24!! i agree with it being similar to driving, theres a time when you know its not good for you anymore - my father in law is 76 and im scared being in the car with him, he's too diddery and dangerous!! but he also has a westie now after having collies their whole life...i personally think this one little westie is more work for him as he has a multitude of issues...it all depends really...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll always have a weim, maybe when i'm old amd decrepit I will have an old and decrepit weim, but as long as i'm well enough to have a dog, I always will have a weim.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 11:59 AM
If Daisy continues for the average GSD span I`ll be over 70 when she goes. I`ll certainly get another dog, but probably an Oldie. I think it depends more on mobility and marbles than age TBH
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Since getting Toro I can't imagine me without a Bullie...and that got me thinking, time doesn't stand still as much as we all would love it to, I'm 47, say I get a good 10 years out of Toro and Inka I'd be coming up for 58, at 58 would I cope with a Bullie ? Would I have to down size the type of dog I wanted ? is there an age when we shouldn't have a dog ?
I'd love to hear what you all think about that !
My parents have just lost their staffie, Reggie. Dad is nearly 89, mum is 85. They say they are not going to get another one, but I bet they do ! I don't think you are ever too old to have a dog, provided you can exercise it.

I am sure at 58 you will cope fine ! I'm 55 and I cope with Tai, a Norty Mal cross Husky, a great big giant bear !!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Having met Toro, I know where inki is coming from, Im 37 and I dont think I could cope with toro, its not the walking and handling of her, its the keeping an eye on her, shes into everything,

I guess I would put Toro on par with a 2 year old child, if you know what I mean, cant turn your back but shes up to no good....

shes so funny, but I dont think I could cope with her on a daily basis.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >