Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Where do you feed RAW?

I was looking through the raw section and noticed most of the food was being fed outside...(I can understand why) do you do the same when it's winter? I can't imagine my wussy Greyhound eating outside in the cold. What are the health/contamination implications of feeding inside? Should it be on the tiles in the kitchen or doesn't it affect the carpet?
I'm still umming and ahhing about changing Axel over, he's got 1/2 a bag left of kibble (csj) and if I was going to try changing over, now might be a good time...how would I go about that? Having 1/2 mince (what kind of mince?) and 1/2 kibble, and an egg? (Saw SLB's) I'm really nervous about not getting the nutrients right, plus not much freezer space, so would have to be creative...stil only considering it as I'm so nervous I'd get it wrong :S
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Yes, no matter what the weather they eat outside but they choose to do so anyway. If it's cold or raining and their dinner is taking them a while to eat, I may invite Flynn inside and he eats on the doormat. He had frozen rabbit last night which was taking him ages to eat, the weather was very windy and cold so I mustered a little sympathy and called him in!
But 98% of the time they eat outdoors.

Being a clean freak I dont like them eating on the tiles or in their beds, and I deffo wouldnt allow it on carpets or furniture. I guess tiles/lino/wooden flooring are easier than soft material though.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:18 PM
My two eat in the kitchen.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Mine don't mind eating outdoors in the winter but we have a large area outside the back door that's undercover and mostly protected from the elements each side. I do let them eat indoors at times, tend to keep them in the kitchen so I can just spray and wipe the floor, if it's in the lounge then its on their blankets which are just draped over their beds, and I just take them up and chuck them in the washing machine. I know some people have a set of towels or blankets they use to feed the dog on, or those waterproof-backed picnic rugs can work well.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Copper eats his in the kitchen (tiled floor), Jet will carry his from the kitchen outside, whatever the weather, and eat out in the yard. It then gets covered in gravel, stones and dirt!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Jake chooses to eat outside, even in bad weather I am trying to get him to eat in the house just now, so that he will do it when it starts to snow (sometime this month apparently )... He will just stand at the door though, wanting out.

If it is raining though, I am being really tough (for me ) and refuse to let him out... he will eventually eat, but he messes around for a while (going to the door, giving me sad eyes, walking around the kitchen, licking the food and going back to the door etc) before he will settle to eat. We have vinyl in the kitchen so he eats on that, or on an old blanket.

I was worried when I started about getting it wrong, but once I got the hang of it, all those worries disappeared fast
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2011, 01:32 PM
This question seems to crop up every couple of months and my lot are clearly weird because they eat out of their raised bowls in the conservatory. They don't eat outside even in summer and they don't eat off the floor. They eat everything out of their bowls and no they are not fed on mince
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I was looking through the raw section and noticed most of the food was being fed outside...(I can understand why) do you do the same when it's winter? I can't imagine my wussy Greyhound eating outside in the cold. What are the health/contamination implications of feeding inside? Should it be on the tiles in the kitchen or doesn't it affect the carpet?
I'm still umming and ahhing about changing Axel over, he's got 1/2 a bag left of kibble (csj) and if I was going to try changing over, now might be a good time...how would I go about that? Having 1/2 mince (what kind of mince?) and 1/2 kibble, and an egg? (Saw SLB's) I'm really nervous about not getting the nutrients right, plus not much freezer space, so would have to be creative...stil only considering it as I'm so nervous I'd get it wrong :S
As I was told - you soon get fed up of trying to work everything out, as long as they have some liver/kidney each month and some bones and the rest meat they're fine.

I started off adding mince to kibble - the egg was there just because I'd gotten a new box full and they were left over

The dogs eat carcasses and whole foods like that outside but the other night I let Louie eat his rabbit leg inside because it was dark and he takes his share up the garden where the light doesn't stretch so he had his on a towel in the dining room. Minces - depends what it has in it, I gave Louie some minced something or other with bits of oesophagus in it inside the house and I ended up standing in the oesophagus he'd take out of his mince

The dogs prefer to eat outside, there's more room and you can clearly tell where they lay, Sadie's space is near the bench in our garden, Louie's is near the flowerbed and Benjie's is far away from us

You could always try him with a carcass or a rabbit (it might bring back some memories from his racing career - running round the track - he'll finally have the upper hand! ) and see how he takes them.. I started Louie off on rabbit but chicken is what most people start off on.. I'm sure he'll love it and if he doesn't you've still got kibble as a back up.. Benjie took a bit of encouraging to eat his first Carcass - Louie and Sadie didn't at all..
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
My lot eat outside, I put a coat on Cooper in the winter as he gets cold easily.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Ranger eats inside. HIs mince/meat/offal he eats out of his dish quite happily, and his bones he takes to his bed (an old duvet) and chews away on them It's easily popped into the washing machine then for cleaning. I have given him his really smelly fish and tripe outside though and he'll take them into his kennel to eat
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >